• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Ooops. I goofed labeling seedlings. Advice?

Hello forum friends. I'm new to the board and new to growing peppers from seed. I've got 8 or 10 varieties going. Soon they'll be moving from under fluorescent tubes to my coldframe. So far so good. BUT: I started a batch of Pimiento de Espelette and a batch of Piquillo and I mixed my labels! Can anyone who is familiar with these varieties give me any clues on figuring out which is which? My plants have about 4 or 5 sets of real leaves at this point. Any way for me to know what I'm working with before I get fruit? I'd like to be able to thin, place, and tend these varieties knowing what I'm working with. Many thanks to all. Great forum.

Hello forum friends. I'm new to the board and new to growing peppers from seed. I've got 8 or 10 varieties going. Soon they'll be moving from under fluorescent tubes to my coldframe. So far so good. BUT: I started a batch of Pimiento de Espelette and a batch of Piquillo and I mixed my labels! Can anyone who is familiar with these varieties give me any clues on figuring out which is which? My plants have about 4 or 5 sets of real leaves at this point. Any way for me to know what I'm working with before I get fruit? I'd like to be able to thin, place, and tend these varieties knowing what I'm working with. Many thanks to all. Great forum.

Ha! You don't have to be a newbie to do that. I've got a couple that will be "mystery plants" until they show poddage.

And also, welcome to the forum. We also love photos!

Keep a good photo record as they grow. Write down any traits you see different. By the time you DO find out, you will have a detailed log of the specifics of the two!

......if you wanna get that deep into it :dance:

Ha, I did the same thing. I'm also new to growing peppers, and I have a bad habit of not labeling seedlings as I'm planting them. I think, oh, I'll just finish this batch! And then I forget which I've planted. This happened to me with my rocotos, aji crystals, and tabasco. Fortunately, c. pubescens are easily distinguished by their "hairy" appearance, but other than that...

Hey :welcome: and patience grasshopper. You'll still get great peppers and have fun figuring them out. It's definately not hard to do mixin um up and I'm sure just about everybody around here has done the same thing.

Wow, that's going to be a tough one. Even when they start producing, the pods look very similar to each other. No worries, just be patient and wait until they are fully developed. Good luck and :welcome: to THP!

Back