• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Open Pollinated Mysteries

My first experience with open pollination came last year when I realized that I had Jimmy Nardello sweet peppers that had crossed with Serranos. They looked like Nardellos but had some seriously painful and lasting oil in them. This year I have a few more interesting plants showing up. A few that are supposed to be red and are turning out to be orange. I have one that starts out black and is supposed to turn red, but on one plant the peppers are ripening to yellow. I think these hybrid mystery peppers are a lot of fun. Any other experiences from some other seed savers?

Last year I over crowded my garden and didn't get everything I wanted in buckets for isolation. I wanted to save seed from Cumari Ou Passarinho and Naga Jolokia. Started them this year and within the last week have found they both have crossed. The Cumari ou passarinho with the red habs it was next to and then the damn bee went from them to the Naga Jolokias. I have red habish looking Cumaris and yellow naga jolokias. Everything for next year has been isolated and not pulling seed from the main gardens this year.

I think i might have the same issue with my ghosts. These pods just started to grow and they a very light green. Shouldn't they start out as a darker green?

6c19797c.jpg

Back