Open Pollination - Lets get a grip on terms

AJ Drew said:

Great definition.  Problem being now things like Mortgage Lifter tomato are sold by major seed companies because Heirloom is the hot word to sell seeds.  Not sure the story behind Mortgage Lifter Peppers, but evidently there is an heirloom Mortgage Lifter Pepper now.  Fairly sure it is a name game.

I think industry latches on to anything niche that they think they can sell to the masses.

Yeah that is definitely true with unprotected words. The words 'organic' and 'natural' are sometimes used interchangeably, but you can stick 'natural' on any product. People think it's healthier but the word doesn't mean shit when used on labels. People just see a word like heirloom and they don't even think any further. Wish everyone would use their brain more.

It seems my "go-to" reference URL (Yea, I know it's not Funk & Wagnalls.), Wikipedia dot org, agrees with the general theme of this thread.

Open pollination
The terms "open pollination" and "open pollinated" refer to a variety of concepts in the context of the sexual reproduction of plants.

True-breeding definition
"Open pollinated" generally refers to seeds that will "breed true".

Uncontrolled pollination definition
A second use of the term "open pollination" refers to pollination by insects, birds, wind, or other natural mechanisms.

Go figure.. BUT! You'll note the article does use open pollinated for true breeding and open pollination for hybrids.

`

Rajun Gardener said:
Open Pollinated means it's not a hybrid and will grow true IF it's not cross pollinated.

I've seen this definition around and to me it's just confusing. If you take OP to mean pollenated in an open environment by pollinators then the only way you're going to get something that grows true is if there weren't any other species in the vicinity that could have cross pollinated with it.

I suppose if I can enough about getting something stable I'll look for some isolated seed. 

TheTRPV1Agonist said:

I've seen this definition around and to me it's just confusing. If you take OP to mean pollenated in an open environment by pollinators then the only way you're going to get something that grows true is if there weren't any other species in the vicinity that could have cross pollinated with it.

I suppose if I can enough about getting something stable I'll look for some isolated seed. 
I'd think you have a decent chance of it growing true. Since peppers self-pollinate, my thinking is that as long as fruit sets before the wind or another pollinators brings over foreign pollen, it should grow true. Of course, there's a much greater chance of a cross in that environment vs isolated, but I've seen OP stuff a lot more readily available.

Back