• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Operation Golden Garden 2014: Let's Get Started!

**Instead of starting an entirely new GLOG, I decided to tack 2014 on to the end of this one. So if you have already went through 2013's grow, just jump ahead to page 40.**

Before you go on, I would recommend you grab a beer or something else stiff to drink.  If you didnt follow my grow last time around, I have the tendency to go on, and on, and on, and on.  Also, I may not be the most "PC" out of the group, so if you are looking for clean language, on topic discussion, and general 'niceness', I am sure that I can point you in the right direction.

Ok, now that we got that out of the way....I AM STARTING A FREAKIN GROW LOG!  A quick bit of back story. Since I spent more time in high school partying than studying, I didn't have much of a choice following graduation. I decided to enlist in the Marines (there really isnt another choice) and now here I am 8 years and 5 deployments later.  This last go around I left the first few days of September and just got back yesterday (9 months for all the other 'non studying' folk).  As most of you know, if you want some bangin pepper plants, you need to start early, and May 25th aint early.  So right before I left I cut everything back and prayed to the pepper gods that my plants would make it through winter so I could have something to come home to.  Up until yesterday I thought that they were just taking time to put on some green, but when I walked through the fence to see my dogs, a ritual that I typically do after every deployment, I realized that the plants were not there and instead was four trays of new plants just waiting for planting.

Note:  IPhones are not the world's leading video recording devices.  And as a result, I may not be easily heard.  Dont worry, I didn't have much to say initially anyways, I was just a bit more surprised than anything.

For someone who seems to always talk a bit too much, I didnt have much to say initially.  I was freaking out inside and didnt know if my wife got them or what.  When she told me that the guys from THP did it, i was blown away.  You gotta understand, over the past 9 months Bill (RocketMan) organized a "Operation Hot Sauce" care package rotation for me and my guys.  A bunch of members here chipped in and sent packages of sauces, powders, peppers, and other treats to help make this deployment a bit more enjoyable.  To hear that they ALSO chipped in and GAVE ME A GROWING SEASON pretty much put me over the edge.  I know that I already messaged you guys but I wanna thank RocketMan, Coheed196, Romy6, KingDenniz, Silver_Surfer, STC3248, DesertChris, Sanarda, MuskyMojo, Pulpeteer, WalkGood, DocNRock. Stickman, Annie57, Pic 1, Pr0digal_Son, Jamison, Spicy Chicken, HighHalt, Fremp, SethSquach, 3/5 King, Patrick, Bigoldude again for helping make this happen for me.  And although giving me a garden was WAY MORE THAN ENOUGH, they also gave me a little sumpin sumpin that will help out picking up the last minute things that I need to make sure I have everything I need for the season!

So this morning, I got up early because I am still on Afghanistan time, cooked breakfast, and then after the family ate we went out to the garden to plant everything. 

The Peppers:
7 Pot
7 Pot Douglah
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Colorado
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Assam
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Bonda ma Jaques
Cobra
Congo Trinidad
Fatalii
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Lemon Drop
Marconi Giant Hybrid
TSMB 
TSMB Yellow
Naga Morich
Safi Red
Trinidad Scorpion
West Indian Red

Maters:
Black Krim
Black Pear

Oh, and did I tell you that THERE ARE 3 EACH?!?

Gettin to work tilling the rows a bit

The wife givin me a hand

The kiddo givin me a hand

Rows Complete

And Peppers in the ground!

Some goodies from Bill, Jeff and Bonnie (Bill also has goodies in the fridge :cheers:)

Parting Shot

Looking good there Matt, I was thinking today that if I buy some pods and do a ferment It would be ready about the time I can go back to eating hot peppers again, so I might just do that, Right now I can hardly eat anything since my last chemo treatment, just got one more then I'm done.
Your peppers really look good, were all of them frozen? I ask as I was wondering how well they held up after being froze, some of the pepper I froze last year turned to mush after they thawed, it didn't hurt the sauce I made from them, in fact it probably aided in making them break down more during fermentation and the sauce was much smoother after cooking than the ones I made with fresh pods and I didn't have to blend as much after cooking to keep the sauce from separating once bottled.
I really like my sauce much better when I smoke most of the pods and garlic, the smokiness makes the sauce taste so much better.
Well I hope you have a great season, your garden looks like it is doing really good. :P

WalkGood said:
Looking good, can't wait 45 days to see da finished sauce ;)
Yea man, ME TOO! 

wildseed57 said:
Looking good there Matt, I was thinking today that if I buy some pods and do a ferment It would be ready about the time I can go back to eating hot peppers again, so I might just do that, Right now I can hardly eat anything since my last chemo treatment, just got one more then I'm done.
Your peppers really look good, were all of them frozen? I ask as I was wondering how well they held up after being froze, some of the pepper I froze last year turned to mush after they thawed, it didn't hurt the sauce I made from them, in fact it probably aided in making them break down more during fermentation and the sauce was much smoother after cooking than the ones I made with fresh pods and I didn't have to blend as much after cooking to keep the sauce from separating once bottled.
I really like my sauce much better when I smoke most of the pods and garlic, the smokiness makes the sauce taste so much better.
Well I hope you have a great season, your garden looks like it is doing really good. :P
I am glad things are going well for you, and ill keep you in my pepper thoughts :)  The ferment is great because it is more of a set it and forget it, and when you are really jonesin for some hot stuff...IT IS READY!  Freezing peppers definitely messes with texture but not much of the heat.  All the peppers I used were frozen, so I just thawed and went to work.  They were still hot as hell, but I wouldnt be a fan of eating them straight after the freezer.  Cooking, sauce, powder, that is the direction I would recommend with frozen pods.  And I love that smoky flavor, so I plan on using my new smoker ALL SUMMER LONG!  Thanks for stoppin in!

stc3248 said:
You got my addy right??? Will write it on that pickle label so you don't forget over the next month and a half!!! :rofl:
Yea I do, but I don't know if the USPS would be a fan of me sending explosive, nuclear heat level sauce through the mail....on second thought, there is a sequestration, they probably have their B Team working.... (no offense to any postal workers out there...we have had our B Team working in the military since Nam...)

I know, I know...I am 27 and have never pickled anything....

BUT...today I threw all that behind me and decided that I MUST HAVE some pickled onions with my fish tacos.  I had a few jalapenos left over from my slaw so I threw those in there as well.  It was pretty amazing.  I really dont even know if I have ever had pickled onions, but I know that they go well with fish tacos.  I have been meaning to make them for the past few weeks, but I finally did it and had some extra ingredients to use so pickling it is!

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 TBS sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
half an onion, sliced thin
2 jalapenos, sliced

Mix the brine, pour over the veg and let sit at room temp for at least an hour.  DIG IN!!

I got a great recipe from Hooda last summer. He put Garlic, herbs and spices in the jar together with enough white vinegar to cover it all and put it in the 'fridge for 2-3 days. Really simple, and really good!

I can eat that stuff by the bowl! I am not a fan of Pickles...but add some cukes add fresh ground pepper to that jar...maybe a few cherry maters in there, or not, and I will eat it by the bowl full. Great stuff! 

peppernovice said:
   Looks good. I tried pickling last year and couldn't quite get the vinegar/water ratio correct. I hope your's goes well, at least then I can try your recipe. 

Tim 

Water to vinegar is 3-1.  Let set in the dark for 6 weeks and your pickles are good to go.

Looking good Matt!!!

peppernovice said:
   Looks good. I tried pickling last year and couldn't quite get the vinegar/water ratio correct. I hope your's goes well, at least then I can try your recipe. 

Tim 

I think I am gonna tweak it a bit in the future and start to work with some other ingredients (star anise, allspice, etc), I see them do it on Top Chef and Iron Chef all the time.  I tried a recipe for pickled watermelon rinds that David Chang (the mutha-f/n MOMOFUKU man himself) did, and I screwed that one up terribly.  It is definitely a learning experience, but at least I am moving in the right direction!

WalkGood said:
Great idea and pic, did you try them yet and how do they taste?
Yea, I let them sit at room temp for an hour and then busted them open.  They were surprisingly spicier than I thought they would be.  I think the Jals that I got at the grocery store were on the hotter end of the normal jal spectrum.  But it was the perfect topping for the fish tacos.  Briny and perfect!  I put them in the fridge now, but they probably won't last the rest of the week!

stickman said:
I got a great recipe from Hooda last summer. He put Garlic, herbs and spices in the jar together with enough white vinegar to cover it all and put it in the 'fridge for 2-3 days. Really simple, and really good!
Gotta try this one, I am thinking about just spending a day pickling a bunch of stuff.  That way, I will always have them on hand!

stc3248 said:
I can eat that stuff by the bowl! I am not a fan of Pickles...but add some cukes add fresh ground pepper to that jar...maybe a few cherry maters in there, or not, and I will eat it by the bowl full. Great stuff! 
man, you are helping to get the creative juices flowing!

Bodeen said:

Water to vinegar is 3-1.  Let set in the dark for 6 weeks and your pickles are good to go.

Looking good Matt!!!
Interesting, might have to try a few "longer wait" batches!  Thanks Jeff!

3 quart water
1 quart cidar vinegar
1 cup kosher salt

Bring to boil and shut off

While waiting for it to boil, stuff your jar with pickles.  Add in whatever hot peppers you want to use.  I use a different pepper in each jar.  I like to put crushed garlic on the bottom to start with, then some on top of the pickles.  Also on top of the pickles you put your fresh dill and a 1/2 teaspoon of alum per half gallon jar.

NOTE:  Have your pickles at room temperature.

Pour mix over pickles to cover.  Seal and set in the dark 6 weeks.

NOTE 2:  Have your lids (not the rings) in boiling water.

Thanks Jeff for the recipe, gotta give this one a try! 

Well we have been continuously getting hit with crazy ass weather.  It is perfectly clear one minute, and dark as night the next.  We have gotten a torrential rain just about every day for the past week and a half.  The tomatoes hate it, im losing plants by the minute, but the peppers seem to be eating it up. 

Bhut Jolokia Assam

Bhut Jolokia Yellow

7 Pot

Naga Morich

Douglah hasn't set any pods yet, but it is budding and flowering like crazy

This Fatalii is a gorgeous plant.  It got topped in shipping but has been kicking it like a rock star ever since!

Congo Trinidad Yellow

Marconi Hybrid

Could I kindly get a bummmp??

Matt!  Howdy, brother!  Wanted to say a belated welcome back - sorry,
have missed a lot of the action on THP the past few months.  I'm glad
you made it back home safe and sound.  Your unit's commendation to
Bill was way cool.  It is great to see you have a glog going for the 2013
season - it's already becoming a classic!  Looking forward to seeing
more from NC this summer.  Your grow already looks just awesome!

Man, you're getting pods already?  Awesome!  BJ Assam, 7 Pots...not just pods, but superpods!  Loving the growth on that Fatalii.

On a different note, I've never pickled anything, but you have inspired me to give it a try at some point.  A couple of baccatum varieties I have are just calling to be pickled. 

Your starts are looking great, as well.  Green and healthy. 

It must feel so good to be back!

Lookin' Good Matt!

Glad to see the poddage so soon! Looks like they're loading up too!

Got to admit when I saw the dirt on that one I initially thought some funk from too much rain. Especially with your opening statement, send some our way we're looking at 100's.

Keep up the good work!

Looking great brethren \o/ ... captain take her up to full speed I see pods ... I'm giving her all she can take Scotty, hehe

Great job and I'm impressed wit pods so soon, that's awesome!

Back