• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Operation Golden Garden 2014: Let's Get Started!

**Instead of starting an entirely new GLOG, I decided to tack 2014 on to the end of this one. So if you have already went through 2013's grow, just jump ahead to page 40.**

Before you go on, I would recommend you grab a beer or something else stiff to drink.  If you didnt follow my grow last time around, I have the tendency to go on, and on, and on, and on.  Also, I may not be the most "PC" out of the group, so if you are looking for clean language, on topic discussion, and general 'niceness', I am sure that I can point you in the right direction.

Ok, now that we got that out of the way....I AM STARTING A FREAKIN GROW LOG!  A quick bit of back story. Since I spent more time in high school partying than studying, I didn't have much of a choice following graduation. I decided to enlist in the Marines (there really isnt another choice) and now here I am 8 years and 5 deployments later.  This last go around I left the first few days of September and just got back yesterday (9 months for all the other 'non studying' folk).  As most of you know, if you want some bangin pepper plants, you need to start early, and May 25th aint early.  So right before I left I cut everything back and prayed to the pepper gods that my plants would make it through winter so I could have something to come home to.  Up until yesterday I thought that they were just taking time to put on some green, but when I walked through the fence to see my dogs, a ritual that I typically do after every deployment, I realized that the plants were not there and instead was four trays of new plants just waiting for planting.

Note:  IPhones are not the world's leading video recording devices.  And as a result, I may not be easily heard.  Dont worry, I didn't have much to say initially anyways, I was just a bit more surprised than anything.

For someone who seems to always talk a bit too much, I didnt have much to say initially.  I was freaking out inside and didnt know if my wife got them or what.  When she told me that the guys from THP did it, i was blown away.  You gotta understand, over the past 9 months Bill (RocketMan) organized a "Operation Hot Sauce" care package rotation for me and my guys.  A bunch of members here chipped in and sent packages of sauces, powders, peppers, and other treats to help make this deployment a bit more enjoyable.  To hear that they ALSO chipped in and GAVE ME A GROWING SEASON pretty much put me over the edge.  I know that I already messaged you guys but I wanna thank RocketMan, Coheed196, Romy6, KingDenniz, Silver_Surfer, STC3248, DesertChris, Sanarda, MuskyMojo, Pulpeteer, WalkGood, DocNRock. Stickman, Annie57, Pic 1, Pr0digal_Son, Jamison, Spicy Chicken, HighHalt, Fremp, SethSquach, 3/5 King, Patrick, Bigoldude again for helping make this happen for me.  And although giving me a garden was WAY MORE THAN ENOUGH, they also gave me a little sumpin sumpin that will help out picking up the last minute things that I need to make sure I have everything I need for the season!

So this morning, I got up early because I am still on Afghanistan time, cooked breakfast, and then after the family ate we went out to the garden to plant everything. 

The Peppers:
7 Pot
7 Pot Douglah
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Colorado
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Assam
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Bonda ma Jaques
Cobra
Congo Trinidad
Fatalii
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Lemon Drop
Marconi Giant Hybrid
TSMB 
TSMB Yellow
Naga Morich
Safi Red
Trinidad Scorpion
West Indian Red

Maters:
Black Krim
Black Pear

Oh, and did I tell you that THERE ARE 3 EACH?!?

Gettin to work tilling the rows a bit

The wife givin me a hand

The kiddo givin me a hand

Rows Complete

And Peppers in the ground!

Some goodies from Bill, Jeff and Bonnie (Bill also has goodies in the fridge :cheers:)

Parting Shot

stc3248 said:
Sweet! You're really taking the reviews up a notch. A breath of fresh air compared to the over the top FBI type reviews...nothing against Ted...he has his niche, but yours are right on. You can see and feel the pain without all the over the top crap and have a true feel for what the ride was really all about. Hope the Reaper wasn't one of the ones past ripe! I really wanna watch you eat one and give your thoughts...I ate one yesterday and have some thoughts, and am super interested to hear what you think. If it WAS one of the past ripe ones...just say the word and one will be on the way...your pain is my pleasure!  :rofl: Maybe I could send you another Infinity too and you could eat more than just a little bit??? I had a very painful experience with that one... Oh...and a MONSTER sized Douglah since you now have to reset your baseline!!!

After the past couple reviews I don't know how many more I am willing to do. My tolerance is good, but my stomach is having real troubles. 

The plants look happy and healthy in the background! I like your new review location!

Side note...did you see the woodwork post Dev made a few weeks back? Think its on page 32 or 33 of his Glog...figured you might like the looks of the gun stock he put together...
Yea brother, things have definitely been kicked into high gear! I have got kicked in the nuts multiple times recently, gotta love crazy pods!  I use "Tmudder's Elixer" to avoid stomach problems.  1/2 cup greek yogurt, 1 cup milk, about 2 tbs peanut butter, and a banana.  Blend it up and drink about half or so before th review and the other half after.  I was eating the ingredients separately before, but still got hit a few times in the stomach so I followed through and blended it all.  It works like a charm.  Something about the liquid being able to absorb the pepper in the stomach. 

I checked out Scott's stock, it is pretty freaking badass! I am still looking at a few more gat pieces, planning on a Glock 23, Rem 700 and a H&K USP 40.  Mama doesn't know...so keep it on the DL.... :)

Oh....and I do want a rematch with that monster infinity.  I am trying to go through Ed for a Reaper, that is why I have been holding off reviewing it.  I figured getting one hand selected from him would be pretty cool.  But if it does fall through ill let cha know!

Now get back outside and pick another bushel of friggen peppers...you know your plants are loaded.

Sanarda said:
Great reviews Matt. Love them and terrific harvest. So glad to see a well deserved season. You can pass some of that sun to Jersey BTW. Oh I wanted to ask how far are you from Greensboro. My family on my mother's side lives there. That includes extended family for 60+ years.
Thanks Pia!  I am just so grateful for the ability to be able walk outside and see them!  Amazing! 

I think I am a few hours from there.  I haven't been over there so I am not too sure. 

Capsicum Select said:
I will gladly do a partial pod review until the boxes wind down  :).   

Glad to see your harvests are picking up with happy looking plants in the background of your reviews!
The Butch T x 7 Jonah was a real surprise on the flavor factor. Probably a relief for you that it wasn't like another Savannah!

Enjoy the time off!
Thanks man, it has been a blast! 

I checked the plants tonight and I have a few things turning color, so give me another week or 2 and ill shoot you over a package of goodies.  The Assams are loaded down and I am just waiting for them to get to that beautiful red hue!  Send me your addy in a PM. 

Bodeen said:
Nice review.

Thanks Jeff! 

So I have been pretty busy over the past few days.  I know, I am supposed to be on leave!  But I took the time to get some stuff around the house done, work in the garden, and hang with the kiddo.  So I potted up 9 plants (a few in the super soil, a few in just amended sunshine mix).  I will post some pics in the next day or two, I know I haven't posted any garden shots in a few days...but the past 2 days have been really overcast. Not good photo taking weather.

I have started to compile my 2014 grow plans.  I am itching to put up my tent and start designing my grow area, but haven't got it up yet.  It really doesn't need to get up until November so I can have a month or 2 to prepare the inside for a late December start.  Here is the list so far.  Yellow means I am still looking for or have seeds incoming. 

I am planning on doing a good amount of isolation, even to the extent of isolation boxes for a couple dozen plants.  With these numbers I am gonna have to be smart with my growtent setup.  I am thinking a horseshoe setup of shelving, maybe two shelves on each of the three walls with 24" height.  This should allow me to grow for 4 months or so and have room for a light per shelf.  (the wife is gonna kill me!  here are those hidden costs scott!) I am also working a sort of germination chamber so I can germ in a closed environment and move them under lights after they pop! 

Anyways, got a lot of grow logs to check up on....

Matt. Nice update and love that grow lost for 2014, very organized and good spread :). Would love to see your growtent project once you start working on it - are you going to do hid lights again this season, upgrade those, or still undetermined :D. Glad your enjoying your leave and spending time with the family.

Matt,

You're a man with a plan.
Getting it all together for next year already, I see you have all pure heat......and then theres the "others" column, just like the clothing rack way in the back of the store........... :D
Some of those others may not burn one's face off but they might fit into a recipe when one needs a change of pace.
Great update, once again.

PM sent, thanks man. 

That is quite the plan for 2014 already. So much heat in that list! The "others" column makes me crack up. Non-super red headed step children.
Wish I could help with some of those but my seed selection is still pretty small.

I know you were planning the isolation tents but are you going to make it combination greenhouse or make a greenhouse on the side?

Also, picked up a good book on compost making and fertilizer after inspiration from your super soil. I will definitely be taking things a more organic route and making some teas next year after expanding my knowledge on the soil food web. 

BrooklynXpat said:
Matt. Nice update and love that grow lost for 2014, very organized and good spread :). Would love to see your growtent project once you start working on it - are you going to do hid lights again this season, upgrade those, or still undetermined :D. Glad your enjoying your leave and spending time with the family.
Will do man, it is always fun to map it out and start building.  I am not a big DIY'er but when it comes to the garden stuff I really seem to take my time and do pretty well.  I built a bench last season and it worked great for me, but this time around I want to separate my grow area from my prep/work area.  This will give me more room for plants.  And if I really go through and OW, I really need to get my tail in gear!

Spicegeist said:
Planning for 2014?  Now you're talking!  We need to talk, I've got a serious surplus going on over here...
LOL.  Just the initial plans.  I was tired of doing homework and went back through the seed stock to see what i had and what I was still tryin to get my hands on.  I think this is the best time to start to put plans together because seeds are easier to find and equipment/supplies is less expensive or on sale because it is in the "grow" season.  I wont get serious until October/November, but it is good to do the gathering now. 

PIC 1 said:
Matt,

You're a man with a plan.
Getting it all together for next year already, I see you have all pure heat......and then theres the "others" column, just like the clothing rack way in the back of the store........... :D
Some of those others may not burn one's face off but they might fit into a recipe when one needs a change of pace.
Great update, once again.
:rofl:  I was tired of typing, and just wanted to throw a column up real quickly as a place holder.  The difference is I will only end up with one plant of the supers, but the "others" will get multiple plants.  I also add those late to fill in the empty spaces.  I haven't expanded the garden yet, but will be doing that at the end of the grow season.  At that point I will know how much room I will have.  Then I can fill in the empty spaces.  I am probably going to go with like 2 or 3 MoAs, 3 or 4 Jals, 2 each of the habs and there are a few others that aren't on there, chaparita yellows, some pequins, etc.  Those will start to add up quickly once I start putting them in. 

GA Growhead said:
I gotcha on three marked yellow. :D
NICE!

Capsicum Select said:
PM sent, thanks man. 

That is quite the plan for 2014 already. So much heat in that list! The "others" column makes me crack up. Non-super red headed step children.
Wish I could help with some of those but my seed selection is still pretty small.

I know you were planning the isolation tents but are you going to make it combination greenhouse or make a greenhouse on the side?

Also, picked up a good book on compost making and fertilizer after inspiration from your super soil. I will definitely be taking things a more organic route and making some teas next year after expanding my knowledge on the soil food web. 
LOL....Some of them are RED!

I am not going with the greenhouse design, think about it more along the lines of a "cage".  I will use wood for the frame and either tulle, or the fabric that sawyer posted a few comments up the page to keep insects out.  I am looking at cost and size to see what will be the best option for me.  Right now I am doing initial planning off of a 3'x3' design.  My goal isn't to grow the biggest plant in those boxes, just to isolate the entire plant for phenotype selection.  Only the developmental crosses will go in there so I can have a wider selection of pod shape.  If I isolated a branch, I would probably only get a few pods, this way the entire plant would be pure and I can go with what I want. 

I just potted up about a half dozen plants in the SS, so stay tuned for my thoughts on that over the next few weeks.  So far though everything looks happy.  If nothing is dead right away, then we are good.

I am pretty disappointed ATM, I had plans to build a patio today but the rain had other plans!  I am going cheap and quick because It wont be a heavily trafficked area.  I am just looking for something to put my grills on and get them out of the garage.  I grabbed four 15.5" x 15/5" concrete pavers from Lowe's and put my smoker on it, an it works awesome.  So I figured I would expand that and make a nice little grill area.  I am well aware that you should dig down like 8 inches, lay pebbles, etc, but I will just get it level, pack it down as good as I can, and go from there.  But mother nature threw that off.  Now I am not sure what I wanna do today!

Hi Matt,
   You've got so much to catch up on that I'm gonna wait until the weekend to do it, but just wanted to say that you've got a BA list going for next year and I'm definitely gonna want to see how it all shakes out. Cheers!

Sorry, not trying to re-bump, but here is the measurements I used for the Super Soil

The left number is the recommended, the number in parentheses is what I used.

8 Lg bags of high-quality potting soil with coco fiber and myco (7 gallons)
25 to 50 lbs of EWC (3 gallons)
5 lbs steamed bone meal (8 Tbs)
5 lbs Bloom bat guano (8 Tbs)
5 lbs blood meal (8 Tbs)
3 lbs rock phosphate (5 1/3 Tbs)
3/4 cup epson salts (3.6 tsp)
1/2 cup dolomitic lime (2.5 tsp)
1/2 cup azomite (2.5 tsp)
2 tbsp powdered humic acid (Ful-Humix .6 tsp)

No worries...I kept forgetting...AND IT WAS ON MY DESKTOP AS A STICKY!

I have episode 3 of Matt's Chats uploading now, but until that awesomeness is up I finally took some photos of OUR plants.  I recently switched up my camera mode and got some post processing software.  I am shooting in Camera RAW and using Aperture.  I am a Mac guy, so after a bunch of Aperture/Lightroom debate I settled on something that I would probably be quicker to pick up.  I am really loving it, as I have a whole lot more control over the end product.  So please let me know if they suck, if they look good, etc.

7 Pot.  These babies are pretty uniform on all 3 plants.  Different from the 7 Pot original strains that I grew last season from Judy, but I believe they were the SR version.  They were much more bumpy sporadic and these are lobed and smooth.

For the TS plants, one is putting out these beautifully stingy pods, one is putting out a bunch of crazy pod shapes, and one hasn't put anything out yet.  I sent the only ripe pod over to a buddy recently, so I havent tried it yet...actually..I haven't tried anything yet LOL!  I have sent the pods out to friends and guys on the boards.  I am seeing a ton of stuff start to set and color, so I will get in there pretty soon!

These Assams are freaking huge!  I have a bunch with color, but some are cracking a bit.  Not worried too much about it because they are still firm.

Got a TSMB WITH COLOR!!

I thought that I picked my last TSMB Yellow, but when I was crawling around on the ground I spotted this badboy hangin low!

Dougies are freaking GNARLY!

All 3 7 Pot yellows are putting out pods, but two of the three have this gorgeous symmetrical look to them.  There is probably 20 or so pods hanging off of it. 

Some color showing on the Naga Morich pods as well.  There are a ton of these uniformed, typical Naga pods hanging.

Got a half dozen or so more, could I get a bump?

Thanks for the bump!

Haven't shown the babies in a while, but they are looking pretty good.  The in ground plants are doing better than the potted plants, but I just bumped a few into 3 gal containers with some food so we shall see.

BB Douglah and BB Douglah Red.  The BB Douglah went into Sunshine #4 amended with pearlite, dolomitic lime, and EWC.  I used Myco with the potup as well.  The red went into a container with 1/4 Super Soil and the rest the above mix.

ButchT MS and BB Jonah in the Super Soil mix.

Savannah and Infinity in the Non-SS mix

Separately, I was gonna follow in Rick's footsteps and roast, peel, and freeze them for later use, but decided to whip up a quick dinner with them.  Mexican Stuffed Manzano Peppers!  It turned out great.  Just basic ground beef, mexican seasonings, some beef broth tomato paste, and stick it in the oven for 45 mins.  Nice and yummy!!

And the new bottle for testing...

Nice looking pics! I especially like the pic of the Douglah that you can see the main stalk in the background. That thing looks solid.

Matt, those peppers are looking Righteous! Haven't had a chance to see the Matt's Chats yet but I'll be driving up to Waycross, GA tonight and I'll be listening to them for "In Flight entertainment" 

Now that's a good Scotch when you have a few extra dollars but what's you stand by, go to Scotch when it's the end of the month and pay day's still a week off :)
I've got one for you try, if you can handle it ;)

Back