• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Operation Golden Garden 2014: Let's Get Started!

**Instead of starting an entirely new GLOG, I decided to tack 2014 on to the end of this one. So if you have already went through 2013's grow, just jump ahead to page 40.**

Before you go on, I would recommend you grab a beer or something else stiff to drink.  If you didnt follow my grow last time around, I have the tendency to go on, and on, and on, and on.  Also, I may not be the most "PC" out of the group, so if you are looking for clean language, on topic discussion, and general 'niceness', I am sure that I can point you in the right direction.

Ok, now that we got that out of the way....I AM STARTING A FREAKIN GROW LOG!  A quick bit of back story. Since I spent more time in high school partying than studying, I didn't have much of a choice following graduation. I decided to enlist in the Marines (there really isnt another choice) and now here I am 8 years and 5 deployments later.  This last go around I left the first few days of September and just got back yesterday (9 months for all the other 'non studying' folk).  As most of you know, if you want some bangin pepper plants, you need to start early, and May 25th aint early.  So right before I left I cut everything back and prayed to the pepper gods that my plants would make it through winter so I could have something to come home to.  Up until yesterday I thought that they were just taking time to put on some green, but when I walked through the fence to see my dogs, a ritual that I typically do after every deployment, I realized that the plants were not there and instead was four trays of new plants just waiting for planting.

Note:  IPhones are not the world's leading video recording devices.  And as a result, I may not be easily heard.  Dont worry, I didn't have much to say initially anyways, I was just a bit more surprised than anything.

For someone who seems to always talk a bit too much, I didnt have much to say initially.  I was freaking out inside and didnt know if my wife got them or what.  When she told me that the guys from THP did it, i was blown away.  You gotta understand, over the past 9 months Bill (RocketMan) organized a "Operation Hot Sauce" care package rotation for me and my guys.  A bunch of members here chipped in and sent packages of sauces, powders, peppers, and other treats to help make this deployment a bit more enjoyable.  To hear that they ALSO chipped in and GAVE ME A GROWING SEASON pretty much put me over the edge.  I know that I already messaged you guys but I wanna thank RocketMan, Coheed196, Romy6, KingDenniz, Silver_Surfer, STC3248, DesertChris, Sanarda, MuskyMojo, Pulpeteer, WalkGood, DocNRock. Stickman, Annie57, Pic 1, Pr0digal_Son, Jamison, Spicy Chicken, HighHalt, Fremp, SethSquach, 3/5 King, Patrick, Bigoldude again for helping make this happen for me.  And although giving me a garden was WAY MORE THAN ENOUGH, they also gave me a little sumpin sumpin that will help out picking up the last minute things that I need to make sure I have everything I need for the season!

So this morning, I got up early because I am still on Afghanistan time, cooked breakfast, and then after the family ate we went out to the garden to plant everything. 

The Peppers:
7 Pot
7 Pot Douglah
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Colorado
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Assam
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Bonda ma Jaques
Cobra
Congo Trinidad
Fatalii
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Lemon Drop
Marconi Giant Hybrid
TSMB 
TSMB Yellow
Naga Morich
Safi Red
Trinidad Scorpion
West Indian Red

Maters:
Black Krim
Black Pear

Oh, and did I tell you that THERE ARE 3 EACH?!?

Gettin to work tilling the rows a bit

The wife givin me a hand

The kiddo givin me a hand

Rows Complete

And Peppers in the ground!

Some goodies from Bill, Jeff and Bonnie (Bill also has goodies in the fridge :cheers:)

Parting Shot

The newer babies are looking great - i really hope the season lasts long enough so you can get some ripe pods off them. It feels like fall now, which worries the heck out of me.

I'd really like to see what you're thinking about for next years grow with the weed fabric being a failure to keep weeds down, i was planning on doing a woven landscape fabric around perimeter of back yard like this http://www.amazon.com/Dewitt-P3--250-Foot-5-Ounce-Barrier/dp/B000UJVC3U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378296853&sr=8-1&keywords=woven+landscape+fabric. Not sure if what you had was woven or spun, but the woven stuff is supposedly much better at suppression from research i've been doing.

Good for you that the misses has no issue with you almost tripling your grow area, i finally got mine to allow me to expand my area for next season as well (as long as i remove all the trees and stumps). yay! Great garden update!

MGOLD86 said:
Thanks Jeff!  I appreciate the feedback!

Here's episode 3 of Matt's Chats

Again, another gem: "I don't want to sound douchey, but go for it!"

That's a possible t shirt slogan for "Matt's Chats"

Ok, still slowly working my way through your glog to catch up.

I think your stance on the race to the hottest is spot on, btw.  It can be a distraction and it's good to just relax and enjoy the grow and varieties.  

Edit: just found another t shirt slogan in one of your responses: 
The Superhot experience: Burn, oh shit, regret, saliva, numbness, endorphines, and calm.

Great description.

GnomeGrown said:
Some great looking pods from justaguy!
Enjoy that Nardello

:onfire:
They are quite impressive!  Really awesome size and shape to em all, and really fresh!

BrooklynXpat said:
The newer babies are looking great - i really hope the season lasts long enough so you can get some ripe pods off them. It feels like fall now, which worries the heck out of me.

I'd really like to see what you're thinking about for next years grow with the weed fabric being a failure to keep weeds down, i was planning on doing a woven landscape fabric around perimeter of back yard like this http://www.amazon.com/Dewitt-P3--250-Foot-5-Ounce-Barrier/dp/B000UJVC3U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378296853&sr=8-1&keywords=woven+landscape+fabric. Not sure if what you had was woven or spun, but the woven stuff is supposedly much better at suppression from research i've been doing.

Good for you that the misses has no issue with you almost tripling your grow area, i finally got mine to allow me to expand my area for next season as well (as long as i remove all the trees and stumps). yay! Great garden update!
Ill send some good vibes your way, I have about a half dozen pods setting on the late starts and I would LOVE to get a little harvest.  I think there are pods on the reaper (which I can already tell is probably gonna end up a "Not"), the savannah, the BB Jonah, and the BT Mississippi strain.  As far as the weed cloth that you linked to, it looks really heavy duty and it would probably do well.  I may still just leave it uncovered for under the plants and cover the in between rows with a double layer of the weed cloth.  Maybe even mulch it.  We'll see...

Pulpiteer said:

Again, another gem: "I don't want to sound douchey, but go for it!"

That's a possible t shirt slogan for "Matt's Chats"

Ok, still slowly working my way through your glog to catch up.

I think your stance on the race to the hottest is spot on, btw.  It can be a distraction and it's good to just relax and enjoy the grow and varieties.  

Edit: just found another t shirt slogan in one of your responses: 
The Superhot experience: Burn, oh shit, regret, saliva, numbness, endorphines, and calm.

Great description.
LOL!  Thanks for keepin track Andy, I am glad I am good for a chuckle or two!  When did I say that superhot experience??  That sounds like it WOULD go perfect on a T-Shirt!

romy6 said:
 You be a busy man MG.

You Military guys sure know how to make good use of your time.

Loving all the love you are receiving.  :party:
I am Jamie, it never stops.  Thanks for stoppin in!

Well Sorry I haven't been very active over the past week ALOT of stuff has been goin on.  The kiddo has been sick since Friday (hes almost 100% now), but that started a terrible weekend filled with just random crap.  School work, sick kid, house stuff, work randomness, and speeding tickets...nothing fun.  So to put the icing on the cake the wife and I looked at each other on Tuesday night (I went back to work on Wednesday) and said..does your throat hurt?  Well it looks like when the kiddo decided to snap out of it, both of us got sick.  Wasn't too bad on Wednesday but I am pretty destroyed today.  I am hoping to feel better come tomorrow so this weekend will make up for last.  One more thing that really pissed me off is last night (with sore throat and all) I decided to do a pod review from one of the ones from Brian.  It was the Yellow TS, which was pretty special because that was my first superhot pod and I reviewed it on 9-2-11.  Pretty much 2 years ago so I thought it would be a great redux video.  Well I managed to do it, keep it down, and suffer through only to see a pretty much pitch black screen when I imported it.  It was dark outside, so i shot in the garage....apparently there wasn't enough light to shoot and i had no idea until it was over. 

Work has also been pretty busy, we are doing a lot of curriculum development and other stuff that really hasn't been my forte', so I feel a bit over my head now but should be good in another couple weeks.  I am going to Quantico Va next week to attend a conference on leadership and mentoring (lol!!!) so that will get be out of the area and the office for a week. 

Well I am gonna check in on another GLog or 2 and get some sleep.  I have a 5 mile or so ruck run/swim/run tomorrow morning at 6am.  Gotta love being back on full duty.....lol

P.S. I will definitely be catchin up on some reviews and taking some more garden shots in the near future.  I have a pod or 2 left from Brain's box that I really wanna try and I am gettin another one (should be tomorrow) that has a pod or 2 that should prove to be an entertaining video.

MGOLD86 said:

I am going to Quantico Va next week to attend a conference on leadership and mentoring (lol!!!) so that will get be out of the area and the office for a week. 

Sorry everyone got sick this week. 

If you get some off time while at Quantico I'm just up the road about 20-30 mins depending on traffic and will come meet you for a cold one if you can sneak out, let me know.

The cloth and mulch combo worked great for me this year in the backyard, only a few weeds and maple tree sprouts and they were just growing in the mulch and removed with ease.  The cloth with a 1/4" of soil on top failed miserably down at the hunting camp though, so go with it straight or with a decent layer of mulch on top.  

MGOLD86 said:
 I think there are pods on the reaper (which I can already tell is probably gonna end up a "Not"),
I have some true reapers on my plant.  Let me know if you want me to send you a pod or 2 when they ripen (not a heavy producer or I would send you a box full).     Nice reviews in here.  And you got me to order some BOC for next year.   They sound awesome!

I will be back to respond later, I have like a half million things to do around the house.  But in the mean time...enjoy me wanting to die...yet again....

The Bottom line: Imagine a meteor hitting you in the face.  Next slide.

On Heat. This pod destroyed me.  It could have been because I am sick, because I have a sore throat, or because it has been a while since I have had such a hard hitting pod, but whichever it is this pod was nuclear.  Definitely panic mode, really bad mouth and throat burn, and the whole physical paralysis.   

On Taste.  This had a unique flavor, quite tangy.  Not bad, just different.  I would have to try it again (which will not happen) to get more on the flavor, but I remember thinking this isnt bad, but what is it??

On Vigor and Production. I am not growing this variety and I cannot attest to its overall production, but I am guessing it is producing at least the normal amount of pods for a super. And the shape is amazing.

Heat: T1
Flavor: T3
Production: T2

Overall a death pod that makes you question why the hell you are doing this.  A must grow for anyone looking to dance with the devil.
Check out my GLog: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/39420-operation-golden-garden-choc-moruga-and-boc-reviews-up/page-34#entry877444

Well done Matt.  It wasnt as spacey as you think because I think I can say we all went on that ride with you.  You are a beast when it comes to tolerance so I know that must have been one hell of a fkin pod.  Any way,  well done  :dance:  :dance:

Glad to see you're semi-healthy and back doing reviews. It must have been really bad to make you consider retirement. Hopefully, for our sake, you don't go that route.

Tim

Seacowboy said:
Sorry everyone got sick this week. 

If you get some off time while at Quantico I'm just up the road about 20-30 mins depending on traffic and will come meet you for a cold one if you can sneak out, let me know.

The cloth and mulch combo worked great for me this year in the backyard, only a few weeds and maple tree sprouts and they were just growing in the mulch and removed with ease.  The cloth with a 1/4" of soil on top failed miserably down at the hunting camp though, so go with it straight or with a decent layer of mulch on top.  

Yea it definitely sucked.  Not a fun time at all. 

Looks like I am not heading to Quantico next week after all.  There is some big planning thing here so i need to be around for it.  Kinda sucks cuz that per diem is not bad...But its still cool, now I dont have to leave the wife and kiddo. 

Pulpiteer said:
It was in response to someone else's review - here http://thehotpepper.com/topic/39420-operation-golden-garden-more-reviewsshane-trys-to-destroy-meagain/?p=875212

Sorry to hear about the sickness. Can't imagine doing a review with a sore throat.  Ugh. Hope you're feeling better.
Thanks Andy, it was MISERABLE! LOL. 

PIC 1 said:
Matt you've got that pepper eating gig down to  Science................... ..and you will be digging up the ground for more area to plant...... :D  
I dont know about that Greg...more like I am someone's or the collective's science EXPERIMENT! LOL.

laynlow said:
I have some true reapers on my plant.  Let me know if you want me to send you a pod or 2 when they ripen (not a heavy producer or I would send you a box full).     Nice reviews in here.  And you got me to order some BOC for next year.   They sound awesome!
Thanks, but I think I will be good on the reaper front.  I really appreciate the offer.  Hopefully you check your PM box frequently....

Sanarda said:
Well done Matt.  It wasnt as spacey as you think because I think I can say we all went on that ride with you.  You are a beast when it comes to tolerance so I know that must have been one hell of a fkin pod.  Any way,  well done  :dance:  :dance:
Thanks Pia!  I was just so out of it!  That one was a real scorcher!

Devv said:
Nice review Matt!

Sorry for the pain! That's some crazy heat!
Thanks Scott!  It was nuts, cuz I have never had Barrackpore that was that hot!

peppernovice said:
   Glad to see you're semi-healthy and back doing reviews. It must have been really bad to make you consider retirement. Hopefully, for our sake, you don't go that route.

Tim
Yea man, Ill be back in the seat....call it stupid or crazy....whatever.... :)

Alrighty, got some time in the garden today after I finished yard work.

Got a nice little harvest today! :party:

Yellow 7 Pot lookin all beautiful

Nasty Doogie

Now how is this for Giant Marconi????

And some of the baby pods
BB Douglah

ButchT Mississippi

Billy Boy Jonah

And the Savannah 7 Pot

Thanks all, back to a nice work week.  It is amazing how much working 5 days will make you love the weekend.  I spent so much time on leave that every day was the weekend, but now since i am back at work the weekend is AMAZING! LOL.

Have a great week!

The Barrackpore has handed me not one...but two ass-whoopins. Never again a whole pod off that one for me...hahaha. I'll have to check the vid tomorrow. but I feel ya, How was the gut burn? That is where it always hit me the worst. 

That Marconi is a giant for sure...how is the flavor on those? Any heat to them? Always in the market for a good stuffer and that one looks to fit the bill and then some!

Hi Matt,
   Great looking pull... That Marconi really is a giant! I love the sweet flavor too, especially roasted and peeled, but after growing them alongside some Kapia peppers this year I think I'm gonna stick with the Kapias from now on. They're a longer-season pepper, and the extra time on the plant makes them even sweeter.

After seeing the Barrackpore kick both Shane and your butts, I guess I'll take a pass on that one myself. I'm hearing the Butch T has better flavor anyway, so I think I'll grow that one to punch things up in a hurry... ;)

Glad you survived it Matt. I honestly didn't want to take you out of reviewing and we all know military men are not quitters. I ate half of one and felt that pain awhile back. Thankfully I was quite drunk and the alcohol helped lube it coming back out....and I agree they burn like a mother coming out the nose.

stc3248 said:
The Barrackpore has handed me not one...but two ass-whoopins. Never again a whole pod off that one for me...hahaha. I'll have to check the vid tomorrow. but I feel ya, How was the gut burn? That is where it always hit me the worst. 

That Marconi is a giant for sure...how is the flavor on those? Any heat to them? Always in the market for a good stuffer and that one looks to fit the bill and then some!
Dude, I was blown away.  I wasn't expecting it to be that bad, but something told me as soon as I cut it open that I was in for a ride....I didn't get any gut burn because most of it was....evacuated....but there was a bit of "warmth" the next day...lol.

On the Marconi there is zero heat on them.  I stuffed a half dozen or so with a mexican-style ground beef mixture and topped with a little tomato sauce and mexican cheese, baked at 350 for about 25 minutes and it was AWESOME!  The wife ate 2!  I have to try the Kapia if Rick says it is a longer season plant which would equate to more pods. 

stickman said:
Hi Matt,
   Great looking pull... That Marconi really is a giant! I love the sweet flavor too, especially roasted and peeled, but after growing them alongside some Kapia peppers this year I think I'm gonna stick with the Kapias from now on. They're a longer-season pepper, and the extra time on the plant makes them even sweeter.

After seeing the Barrackpore kick both Shane and your butts, I guess I'll take a pass on that one myself. I'm hearing the Butch T has better flavor anyway, so I think I'll grow that one to punch things up in a hurry... ;)
LOL.  I swear mine from last season wasn't that hot.  Let me find that review....
So going into this I thought it was gonna be doable.  I am really just considering going back to half pods, it is much easier on my stomach.  Not really 100% on that yet, but I never threw up a pod before I started eating the whole thing.  And some of these review pods are massive and really kick me in the sack.  I know I have nothing to prove, but I guess it will be how I feel when I setup for the next review. And thanks for the recommendation on that Kapia...may have to check em out. 

Justaguy said:
Glad you survived it Matt. I honestly didn't want to take you out of reviewing and we all know military men are not quitters. I ate half of one and felt that pain awhile back. Thankfully I was quite drunk and the alcohol helped lube it coming back out....and I agree they burn like a mother coming out the nose.
You were trying to kill me man!!  Forcing me into retirement!  No, but for real, I may have to reevaluate my methods....That thing really destroyed me and I am betting it was because I am sick, I haven't been munchin much hot stuff lately.  And that nose nuke....no way....no way!  Not now....not eva.

PIC 1 said:
Those Barrackpores are nasty hot...and thicker walled than most other 7's
Nice harvest(s) coming out of NC...
Yea Greg, and this one has to be a cross.  Terrible heat and that crazy awesome shape.  I can't wait to see if they keep up that shape.  And I decided to pull anything with color off the plants in hopes to force some more pods to turn.  I have a few plants that should put out a TON of pods all at once, namely the TS.  I have only got one TS pod so far, and I can't wait to pull a dozen or two at once.

Devv said:
Nice haul Matt! And more in the wings, you've had a great season this year for sure!
Thanks Scott!  It is hilarious how this happens.  I am like...i am gonna go fill a box to send out and I end up crawling through the rows for like 2 hours.  I tell the wife I will only be like 20 minute....yaaaaano.

In all the craziness I forgot to post pics from a pkg I got on Friday.  Peppernovice (Tim) sent me a box of awesomess. 

These pods are super huge and really impressive.  He sent over some Yellow Manzanos as well, which I was supper happy to get. 

These are not Jonah X BT, they are BT's Jonahs....lol.  I talked to Butch about them and he said that he was one of the first to spread around the Jonahs, so he marked them (BT).  So these are grown from original Jonah seeds...and they are HAYUUUUGEEE!

Lastly, these aren't ya daddy's TSMBs....

They have to be crossed with something, but they are gnarly and huge.  I am still a bit sick and my throat is still pretty bad so I am gonna hold off another day or two but this will probably be the next review. 

The only upside to gettin up at 5 to run around with a heavy pack on your back is gettin to see skies like this!

Gonna be another busy week, pistol qual tomorrow, 10 mile ruck run on Thursday, gas chamber on Friday, 8 pg paper, and Im still not 100%...lol.  Cheers all!

Back