• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Operation Golden Garden 2014: Let's Get Started!

**Instead of starting an entirely new GLOG, I decided to tack 2014 on to the end of this one. So if you have already went through 2013's grow, just jump ahead to page 40.**

Before you go on, I would recommend you grab a beer or something else stiff to drink.  If you didnt follow my grow last time around, I have the tendency to go on, and on, and on, and on.  Also, I may not be the most "PC" out of the group, so if you are looking for clean language, on topic discussion, and general 'niceness', I am sure that I can point you in the right direction.

Ok, now that we got that out of the way....I AM STARTING A FREAKIN GROW LOG!  A quick bit of back story. Since I spent more time in high school partying than studying, I didn't have much of a choice following graduation. I decided to enlist in the Marines (there really isnt another choice) and now here I am 8 years and 5 deployments later.  This last go around I left the first few days of September and just got back yesterday (9 months for all the other 'non studying' folk).  As most of you know, if you want some bangin pepper plants, you need to start early, and May 25th aint early.  So right before I left I cut everything back and prayed to the pepper gods that my plants would make it through winter so I could have something to come home to.  Up until yesterday I thought that they were just taking time to put on some green, but when I walked through the fence to see my dogs, a ritual that I typically do after every deployment, I realized that the plants were not there and instead was four trays of new plants just waiting for planting.

Note:  IPhones are not the world's leading video recording devices.  And as a result, I may not be easily heard.  Dont worry, I didn't have much to say initially anyways, I was just a bit more surprised than anything.

For someone who seems to always talk a bit too much, I didnt have much to say initially.  I was freaking out inside and didnt know if my wife got them or what.  When she told me that the guys from THP did it, i was blown away.  You gotta understand, over the past 9 months Bill (RocketMan) organized a "Operation Hot Sauce" care package rotation for me and my guys.  A bunch of members here chipped in and sent packages of sauces, powders, peppers, and other treats to help make this deployment a bit more enjoyable.  To hear that they ALSO chipped in and GAVE ME A GROWING SEASON pretty much put me over the edge.  I know that I already messaged you guys but I wanna thank RocketMan, Coheed196, Romy6, KingDenniz, Silver_Surfer, STC3248, DesertChris, Sanarda, MuskyMojo, Pulpeteer, WalkGood, DocNRock. Stickman, Annie57, Pic 1, Pr0digal_Son, Jamison, Spicy Chicken, HighHalt, Fremp, SethSquach, 3/5 King, Patrick, Bigoldude again for helping make this happen for me.  And although giving me a garden was WAY MORE THAN ENOUGH, they also gave me a little sumpin sumpin that will help out picking up the last minute things that I need to make sure I have everything I need for the season!

So this morning, I got up early because I am still on Afghanistan time, cooked breakfast, and then after the family ate we went out to the garden to plant everything. 

The Peppers:
7 Pot
7 Pot Douglah
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Colorado
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Assam
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Bonda ma Jaques
Cobra
Congo Trinidad
Fatalii
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Lemon Drop
Marconi Giant Hybrid
TSMB 
TSMB Yellow
Naga Morich
Safi Red
Trinidad Scorpion
West Indian Red

Maters:
Black Krim
Black Pear

Oh, and did I tell you that THERE ARE 3 EACH?!?

Gettin to work tilling the rows a bit

The wife givin me a hand

The kiddo givin me a hand

Rows Complete

And Peppers in the ground!

Some goodies from Bill, Jeff and Bonnie (Bill also has goodies in the fridge :cheers:)

Parting Shot

Definitely is going to be a killer grow. Sorry to hear of the bad luck with the first of the seedlings. Looks like you've got everything back in order though. Try to stay sane with how busy you are!

Good to hear from you Matt!

OK that looks exactly like my speadsheet, even down to the colors used when they pop...

I like of idea of great minds think alike..LOL I don't fit that mold...mold..yeah in my head:(

Glad to see the babies arriving.

And kudos to you for doing the career change and dealing with a two year old, life changes are always a challenge! But this one is safe!

MGOLD86 said:
Really happy the PN7J is starting purple. I am hoping it stays this way.

I'm a bit jealous. Mine didn't start off that purple. That's a great start. That's how the F1 started off, so I think it won't disappoint you.

I have 6 more germinating but here is the one I've been growing in an LED AeroGarden:

12099014136_6c9ce816a9_z.jpg

Hi Mat that list and your tent Rocks!!   It will be very interesting to see what all the pods from those crosses will look like, I got a truck load of crosses from Spicegeist also, I thought I had a crazy amount of plants at 45 varieties with about 3 to 5 seeds apiece till I saw what all you have. I haven't started my sweet peppers and tomatoes yet,  when I do things are going to get crouded, Right now I'm waiting on my Tax return so I can get some more lights and all the pots and soil I'll need I'll be a bit behind but that will be ok I have several plants that I over wintered that will fill in while the others grow up.
Well like I said It looks like this season will be a crazy one, I hope that You and your family will have a great year.

George

I have no words for how awesome your grow is starting out, Matt!
How many of the crosses are of your own design?  

Keep up the good work, brother.  Good thing you are young and strong!

stc3248 said:
Looking good Matt! Them Charapitas popped!!! Think you're gonna dig that one, cool looking plant.
Yea man, they popped pretty quickly. I am lookin forward to seein how they turn out.

Sawyer said:
I love the purple plants.
Yea, me too! I am planting a few purple plants, and to see the PN7J pop purple so quickly, its pretty awesome.

Spicegeist said:

Morango Cross looks awesome, very happy you got these to germinate!  The fruit should be very unique...

Is that a [Douglah x Butch T] x Another Superhot I see in the pic on the top?  :fireball:
Yea Charles...LOOKED...awesome. :( Managed to kill that one... But the good news is that was  [Douglah X ButchT] x Another Super you saw, and I ended up saving 2 of those. I replanted the morango cross, so we shall see how that works out for me. Fingers crossed!

RocketMan said:
Good to see up and running Matt. I'm getting the same thing with mine. After some great germ rates once they hit the soil they're just don't want to do anything. I think a part of my problem is the trays I'm using. They're causing the cells to stay too wet. I've been holding off on restarting but I'm getting closer and closer to thinking I might have to and go to top watering instead of bottom with these trays.
Yea, I am notorious for killing seedlings. I almost always have to plant 2 or 3 times. My trays have been too dry, the soil just never soaked up the water. This time I really soaked the tray, and I am hoping that it will stay damp through germination and then it will soak up the water in the future. Also, I always top water. I have had nothing but problems bottom watering.

capsidadburn said:
Wow Matt! Certainly the mother load of crosses you have going! Busy Busy you are.
Yup! I should be a bit busier...but I am trying to not be in there micromanaging everything. I have planted more than enough, so stuff will grow, stuff wont and we shall see what i have come May.

PIC 1 said:
Matt the seedlings look great .....you'll have some transplanting to do..(probably only  once....... :liar: ....) before the plant out.
Man the garden will be a killa this year !
Thanks Greg, I managed to save a few and then replant a whole other tray! I only transplanted 30 today, but I am not looking forward to doing another 200...
Devv said:
Good to hear from you Matt!

OK that looks exactly like my speadsheet, even down to the colors used when they pop...

I like of idea of great minds think alike..LOL I don't fit that mold...mold..yeah in my head:(

Glad to see the babies arriving.

And kudos to you for doing the career change and dealing with a two year old, life changes are always a challenge! But this one is safe!
I am a spreadsheet hound. It makes things much easier for me to track. Thanks!

Dulac said:

I'm a bit jealous. Mine didn't start off that purple. That's a great start. That's how the F1 started off, so I think it won't disappoint you.

I have 6 more germinating but here is the one I've been growing in an LED AeroGarden:

12099014136_6c9ce816a9_z.jpg
I am definitely happy to see it start out purple. I freakin love the purple plants. Gonna be crazy to see it grow and what kind of pods it puts out. Hopefully we can get a bit of striping. :pray:

wildseed57 said:
Hi Mat that list and your tent Rocks!!   It will be very interesting to see what all the pods from those crosses will look like, I got a truck load of crosses from Spicegeist also, I thought I had a crazy amount of plants at 45 varieties with about 3 to 5 seeds apiece till I saw what all you have. I haven't started my sweet peppers and tomatoes yet,  when I do things are going to get crouded, Right now I'm waiting on my Tax return so I can get some more lights and all the pots and soil I'll need I'll be a bit behind but that will be ok I have several plants that I over wintered that will fill in while the others grow up.
Well like I said It looks like this season will be a crazy one, I hope that You and your family will have a great year.

George
Hey George! I did indeed plant a TON of unknowns. It should be pretty interesting to see how they turn out and maybe I get a few scorchers out of the lot! i know what waiting on some extra cash for planting gear is like....gotta have the extra lights!

PaulG said:
I have no words for how awesome your grow is starting out, Matt!
How many of the crosses are of your own design?  

Keep up the good work, brother.  Good thing you are young and strong!
Thanks Paul! None of the crosses are mine, I am just the tester! LOL! I started collecting a few crosses here and there, and next thing I know I have a TON of people sending me their crosses...and some I had to beg, borrow, and steal for!

IIght, I am in for my weekly-ish update. We have a few snow days (get 2 inches of snow and every single thing in the state is shut down...), so I am catching up on some garden work. Like I mentioned before, I have had some issues with the seedlings...like always. I think the soil just never got wet enough, it didn't ever get a good soaking so the water just really beaded off instead of soaking in the cell. So I pulled the seedlings that made it, potted up into the only thing I had (a bit big 3.5x3.5x5). Here is the list of the salvaged babies:

Armageddon F2
Giant White Hab (stinger)
Infinaga
Bhutlah Red (original strain) x2
Bhutlah Red x2
TS Yellow
CS4
Rocoto X
Chaparita Yellow
NagaBrain
TSMB X Primo F4
Daisey Cutter Orange
PN7J
[Douglah X Bhut] X Superhot x2
Bhutlah Chocolate
UBSC Brown
Madballz
7 Barrackpore (tail)
TS Large X Assam x2
UBSC
TSMB X ButchT
ButchT X Primo f4
Naga Sumai X [Bhut Chocolate x Douglah]
Assam X Brain Strain
TSMB X Jonah
Blah Red X BS
Jigsaw
SB7J

And here are a few shots:

So...in keeping with my usual re-planting theme....

And the bottom spreadhseet is what got planted today

Wish me luck!

Oh...and as a parting shot:

Tattoo removal is not pain-free....

They will definitely grow into those quick. Hope you have better luck with the next round. I never have had the best luck with bottom watering either. You definitely have a ton of scorchers in there! The naga x Tabasco should be an interesting one.

More snow and ice for us in Missouri, I'll be glad when this weather settles out its still to early for that , but from the weather map places that are normally fairly warm has been hit with a lot of cold days. I got hit with a medical bill that I was not expecting and had to use my remaining cash that I had plan to use for up dating my lights, now I'll be lucky to get a couple t8s and a fixture for them. I do have a tranformer that will work for 2 x 8 foot t8s so all I need is the bulbs and end connectors and a frame. I'll just have to look around to see what I can come up with as I still have some time before things get crazy.

stc3248 said:
Ouch!!! Hope you have better luck with round 2...or is this 3??? I think those little ones will surprise you how fast they grow into them shoes! Good luck brotha and stay warm! Gonna be 80 here tomorrow! :rofl: No weather hatin either! 
Yea, they are lookin pretty happy already, so hopefully they keep on keepin on! The weather flipped a bit on us, today was TShirt and shorts weather...crazy!

Capsicum Select said:
They will definitely grow into those quick. Hope you have better luck with the next round. I never have had the best luck with bottom watering either. You definitely have a ton of scorchers in there! The naga x Tabasco should be an interesting one.
Yea, ill post a few photos in another couple days. I wanna give them a bit of time to acclimate. I always top water, it just works better for me. Bottom watering=instant death for me...

If you want, I can send over a couple naga x tabasco seeds, if it isn't too late in the season. Either that or ill shoot a few pods your way this summer (if dont kill everything before that...)

Sawyer said:
Good luck with the replant.  I'm sure one way or another, you'll have plenty come May.

Is that laser removal?  Do you know any details about the laser?
Thanks. Yea, it is laser removal and the website says it is a medlite laser. This was session 3, and it was also the first time that I had any swelling. It went away in 2 or 3 days. I have 5 more, and so far it is going really well. The shading is significantly reduced, some of the lines are already breaking up, and there are a few spots where the tattoo is almost completely gone.

Spicegeist said:
You have so many pepper varieties this year, I'm still stunned just looking at that crazy list...

will the un-tattoo heal in time for summer or do you need to stay out of the sun this year?
Yea Charles, I think I have planted about 6-8 of yours, about 10 of Standbyandfire's, 6 from junglerain (grant), and another 8 or so from Chad (the original Bhutlah creator). So with all my replants (see below...........) I am hoping to have a nice spread. I was shooting for over 100, but if I can put 40-50 in the ground, I will be more than happy.  I am realizing that I really dont have anything to do with all the pods, and I couldn't go through the powder fast enough to keep up, so a lot goes to other people as freebies, and a lot just gets left. I enjoy actually growing them and having those gnarly pods, but beyond that, I really don't have the time to sauce or powder it all. I may pass a bunch off to a couple guys that can make some awesome sauces, and the rest...who knows.

PaulG said:
Even with the seedlings that dried out, you still have an awesome grow going!
The re-starts will have you back up to over a 100 again!
lol, we shall see! The Giant White Hab (stinger) made it!

Devv said:
+1 on 894!

Plenty of time to re-group, take names and kick butt!
Yuuup!

wildseed57 said:
More snow and ice for us in Missouri, I'll be glad when this weather settles out its still to early for that , but from the weather map places that are normally fairly warm has been hit with a lot of cold days. I got hit with a medical bill that I was not expecting and had to use my remaining cash that I had plan to use for up dating my lights, now I'll be lucky to get a couple t8s and a fixture for them. I do have a tranformer that will work for 2 x 8 foot t8s so all I need is the bulbs and end connectors and a frame. I'll just have to look around to see what I can come up with as I still have some time before things get crazy.
Damn, thats crazy. Yea, a bit of consistent weather would be great. We got hit really hard, so hard that they shut down the county for 4 days. I know a ton of people that have had great luck with T8s, so you should be in business.

Alrighty, things are movin along. I moved the babies into some bigger shoes, and so far they look like they are happy. I will take a few pics in the next day or 2, but they are puttin out some true leaves so at least they are moving in the right direction. Just because it is so friggen sexy....here is the PN7J.

And.....

I figured since I really cant get this whole germination thing under control, I might as well try out as many methods as possible and see what works for me.. 5 bucks at Wal Mart, can't pass it up. I planted a bunch of Steven, Charles, and Grant's crosses, and a few regulars. Ill post the list in a few days with some photos.

Thanks for stoppin in.

Good luck with round 2 Matt... I had a few that didn't germinate too, but I'm seeing if using Horticubes helps in the next attempt. Good luck bro'!

Good luck with the tattoo removal. I had 2 removed that way, and you're right. It is anything but painless. Feels like you are getting one all over again, but they repeat the process every month or so until it is gone. One of mine took about a year.

Back