• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

soil Opinions on a premix soil and additives - Transplanting

Hi guys!
Ive got some transplanting to do soon with some plants coming into growth stage. Banana peppers and tomatoes. Also maybe my 3 4mo. old plants as they were started in gardening soil and it isnt draining well.
Ive been looking at a pre mix potting soil from Carpintino Brothers, North Country Potting Soil. Its about $6 for 1.5qf. Description as follows:

North Country Potting Soil is a premium quality all-purpose indoor/outdoor potting medium. It is excellent for raised garden beds, potted plants, bedding plants, transplants, herbs, bulbs, nursery shrubs and roses, planter boxes and hanging baskets. This is a non-organic mix. It's the ideal product to use when growing plants in pots or containers. Ingredients include: peat moss, aged bark fines, forest by products, steer manure, volcanic pumice, dolomite lime, limestone flour, and fertilizer package.

I plan on blending this 3 to 1 or maybe 2/2 with FF Ocean in 5gal. buckets. Trying to not have to pay as much for FF for 6 5gal. buckets but supplement other soil with the FF. I also fertilize with FF Big Bloom, Grow Big and Tiger Bloom as needed.

I also have extra blood meal, perlite and epsom salt.

Just wondering if anyone has used the North Country mix, and should I add the blood meal and perilite. If so. how much?

In Ive read you guys saying throw in some epsom salt before putting the plant in but never how much, lol. A table spoon, a cup?

Also, Im thinking years for my pepper plants. Ill probably have to bring them inside, transplant every year, and watering will probably drain the nutrients out of the soil regardless of the growing medium far before they are ever used. So Im looking for longevity. Thats where the costs of high end soil become laughably expensive. Just need good dirt.

Thanks for reading!!

Last edited:
Back