• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation Optimal dehydrating temp

I just bought a 700 watt food dehydrator that has an adjustable temp range of 95 - 160 degrees F.

Whats the best temp for small, thin walled peppers such as Habs, Naga's, Thai's etc?

I personally do it at 115-125 degrees. Works well for me. :) It takes 24-48 hours for thin walled ones. Much faster if de-seeded and cut in halves facing upwards.

Chris

Hey SJ, according to my dehydrator's "cook book" they recommend 125 F for peppers and I just got done with a rack of Orange Habs and it took about 8 hours. I usually don't de-seed, but I do cut them in half since I dry them for powder.

I'd also recommend cutting larger and rather thick walled varieties in half instead of raising the temperature or let them in there for longer. It'll save lotsa energy.

I guess the one I'm gonna buy will be very much like yours, staffing, due to my very limited budget. I have just ordered a shredder for my garden and that limits my budget for a dehydrator even further. :(

You can get a cheaper nesco that is much better than the ronco(or Mr. coffee)type
Edit: By cheaper I mean that there are more expensive nesco's too, from 500-1000 watt

POTAWIE said:
You can get a cheaper nesco that is much better than the ronco(or Mr. coffee)type

Mine is a Nesco FD-75 PR. Its large, its 700 Watts, and has multiple temp settings and I paid $64.50 + shipping brand new from an Ebay store.

I ordered it one afternoon last week and it arrived here the next day. I was astounded.

Got a dehydrator drying a few bhut pods I picked today. Cut them in half, grabbed the seeds out to dry, and popped them on 125F.

My god the smell fills the entire kitchen, so strong. Thankfully its not an unpleasant smell, but stuff buying any air freshner type thing for the house anymore, just dry some pods to achieve a better effect.

Dried some whole japs. took all of yesterday + this morning, and they look quite dry to me. the sun is the cheapest dehydrator. ;)

My dehydrator been exiled from the house. First dehydration effort this season was a load of Naga Morich and Orange Habs...wife went nuts...I was wondering why my nose kept on running :lol:

Now I dehydrate on my patio...

lol i have a big box, dowels poked through for racks, with a few fluro globes in it,, heats up to 34C , costs stuff all Chiliac and No probs drying anything, can take a few days but cheap as if got no sun :)

then when warm enough and not needed, turn upside down, take 1 of the globes out, and use as a clone box lol

Back