• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Orange Hab Flowers Dropping!? eek =(

Well my orange hab plant from last season that i had indoors during winter, but i guess its never really winter here in southern California haha but anyways produced at least 30+ flowers in the past month all of which have dropped! did not have a problem with this last season, so kind of confused! I've read everything from to much nitrogen to them not being pollinated successfully! I use a thin paint brush to do this! Fertilize with Alaska Fish fertilizer once every 3 weeks, i have like 1 or 2 flowers left and im kicking rocks right now on how butt hurt i am about it lol the stems in which the flowers are connected to the plant feel really flimsy! Any thoughts on where im going wrong this season other than when i decided to even start growing peppers haha (having so much trouble this year) Thanks in advance!

There is a little general information about blossom drop in this page:

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/factsheet.asp?code=36

Seems to have mostly to do with temperature and water.

When I googled this there were at least 6-10 THP threads in the list of search results,
so there is a lot of information already discussed here.

Hope this helps.

What kind of lights are you using(lumens/kelvin rating), what's the ambient temp. and what Nutes are you feeding? NPK amounts?

Well my orange hab plant from last season that i had indoors during winter, but i guess its never really winter here in southern California haha but anyways produced at least 30+ flowers in the past month all of which have dropped! did not have a problem with this last season, so kind of confused! I've read everything from to much nitrogen to them not being pollinated successfully! I use a thin paint brush to do this! Fertilize with Alaska Fish fertilizer once every 3 weeks, i have like 1 or 2 flowers left and im kicking rocks right now on how butt hurt i am about it lol the stems in which the flowers are connected to the plant feel really flimsy! Any thoughts on where im going wrong this season other than when i decided to even start growing peppers haha (having so much trouble this year) Thanks in advance!

The pollen should be visible on a densely bristled fine brush. Do you see much pollen?

When you say the stems collecting the flowers (pedicels) are flimsy do you mean that a slight bump causes them to drop or are the pedicels floppy?

What kind of lights are you using(lumens/kelvin rating), what's the ambient temp. and what Nutes are you feeding? NPK amounts?

Throw in a request for the pH of the potting mix given another post I have seen:
hmmm the water here i tested for my fish tank tested over 8.0! probably not good for my plants! better start using my water cooler water it test at 7.0 i believe

Judging by a chart of nutrient availability versus pH raising the pH of your pot too high by using fish tank water will lock out some nutrients.

As for lighting i have for my whole set up 2 18 inch coral life 6500k, 1 lights of america 7800k , 3 cfl 23w lights, the fish fertilizer is 5-1-1, i do not use the water from my fish tank but its from the same source, i recently went from watering my plants from a reverse osmosis system in which i remember correctly the ph was 6.5 to a 8.0+ from the tap

temp is 78.2 when i have indoors lights on (18 on 6 off) , i usually take it outside for a few hours everyday to get some sunshine!

oh yea and the stems break if i barley even touch them so i have to be really careful when i attempt to pollinate

As for lighting i have for my whole set up 2 18 inch coral life 6500k, 1 lights of america 7800k , 3 cfl 23w lights, the fish fertilizer is 5-1-1, i do not use the water from my fish tank but its from the same source, i recently went from watering my plants from a reverse osmosis system in which i remember correctly the ph was 6.5 to a 8.0+ from the tap

temp is 78.2 when i have indoors lights on (18 on 6 off) , i usually take it outside for a few hours everyday to get some sunshine!

oh yea and the stems break if i barley even touch them so i have to be really careful when i attempt to pollinate

They shouldn't be that brittle, I don't think. When I go around buzzing my flowers with the toothbrush on my superhots, the stems are sturdy.

You need to switch your lights out with some in the 2700~3500k range. 6500~7400k is for vegitative growth. The lumens should be a minimun of 3000 a square foot. For starters. Temps are ok.

Yeah that problem with the steams breaking needs to be addressed. Even if the fruit does set, the steams will probably become damaged from the weight.

ok i will just use more 23w 2700k cfls for now, i forgot to mention i had been on a week long vacation when i returned i did notice aphids had attacked! try to destroy them with water and soap but when that failed i used neem no signs of them for now but maybe this had something to do with it, but i was dropping blossoms prior to realizing aphids had made there home on it...could to much nitrogen make them brittle?

ok i will just use more 23w 2700k cfls for now, i forgot to mention i had been on a week long vacation when i returned i did notice aphids had attacked! try to destroy them with water and soap but when that failed i used neem no signs of them for now but maybe this had something to do with it, but i was dropping blossoms prior to realizing aphids had made there home on it...could to much nitrogen make them brittle?

Do you have a photo of the plants?

Do you know the pH of the potting mix? Did you use a potting mix that is geared towards leafy vegetables and thus loaded with Nitrogen?

When I suspected Nitrogen of causing failure to set fruit I had much more Nitrogen the 5% in your NPK 5:1:1 fertiliser. How often do you water the plants without fertiliser between the 3 weeks?

Take a look at the two articles Symptoms of Deficiencies and Toxicities by Element and Impact of Mineral Deficiency Stress and see if you can match up what you're seeing to the descriptions,

i will take a picture tomorrow morning, when i first started fertilizing it i messed up and was fertlizing it every Thursday until i realized what i did and about 2 months ago, the soil mix is a mix of 6 cups of Miracle-Gro® Potting Mix and 2 cups of Miracle-Gro® Moisture Control® Potting Mix, not sure what the ph of the soil is though sorry

fertilized it every Thursday for 3 weeks, but it was starting showing alot of blossoms prior to the start of fertilizing after i pruned it about 3 months ago

after reading your first article i do believe nitrogen maybe problem, my plant was a really dark green for 2-3 weeks i thought it meant it was healty but ive lost alot of leaves recently too

i will take a picture tomorrow morning, when i first started fertilizing it i messed up and was fertlizing it every Thursday until i realized what i did and about 2 months ago, the soil mix is a mix of 6 cups of Miracle-Gro® Potting Mix and 2 cups of Miracle-Gro® Moisture Control® Potting Mix, not sure what the ph of the soil is though sorry

fertilized it every Thursday for 3 weeks, but it was starting showing alot of blossoms prior to the start of fertilizing after i pruned it about 3 months ago

after reading your first article i do believe nitrogen maybe problem, my plant was a really dark green for 2-3 weeks i thought it meant it was healty but ive lost alot of leaves recently too

MG has enough starter nutes to feed for 60-90 days! So depending on what the package says you should fertilize about every other week after that!

+1 mega...if you are feeding them 5-1-1 and you are using MG soil, you may be getting too much N to the plant...too much N can cause blossom drop and guess what....high concentrations of N, draws aphids...

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

very very interesting, thank you all so much, the fertilizer says every 3 weeks, should i do it every other week then? STUPID APHIDS!!!! DIE DIE DIE :flamethrower:

sorry the picture is not that clear the only camera i have is on my phone
orangehab.jpg

i think you should try some bone meal and lights in the red spectrum while flowering. good luck
got some bone meal from lowes today, only kind they had was Miracle Gro Organic Choice Bone Meal, its a 6-9-0, if im trying to lower the nitrogen is it a good idea to still add this to my soil?

got some bone meal from lowes today, only kind they had was Miracle Gro Organic Choice Bone Meal, its a 6-9-0, if im trying to lower the nitrogen is it a good idea to still add this to my soil?

That has more Nitrogen percentage wise than the existing fertiliser.

If you want to add Calcium then consider something like Gypsum (Calcium Sulphate) or another Nitrogen three Calcium compound.

Back