• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Order cotton seeds today

Supposedly, this plant takes 120-150 days to mature so I figure I better get some in a potting mix ASAP. It's one of the plants in my Container Themed project: Strangers In Our Midst.

Cotton, Rice and Sugar Cane are three I have thought of, I'm sure there must be another plant or two that isn't normally grown in Ohio.

Mike

Ballzworth said:
cotton....that's interesting. what are your plans with that?

Besides just growing it for the project at the fair, I actually do not know! If I get enough bolls from however many plants grow (I ordered about 40 seeds total) maybe try to turn it into a hanky or sweater for a gerbil? Seriously, cotton is not something one sees growing in Ohio and I don't know if anyone can tell me (in a nice, useful way) what to do with it. But I will not learn any younger.

paulky_2000 said:
I'm planting dandelions this year.....

ALLLLLLLLLLLL over my yarrrrrrrrd.

Photos this spring.

Me too. I sent a buddy in Nottingham some Bhut Jolokia hot sauce and he liked it. In another thread, we were discussing dandelions and making wine from them (One of the best wines I have ever tasted, and I am not a wine drinker). So in kidding, I told him I would try to make a batch of Jolokia Dandelion Wine to send him. The more you drink, the less you feel the burn!

Mike

wordwiz said:
Me too. I sent a buddy in Nottingham some Bhut Jolokia hot sauce and he liked it. In another thread, we were discussing dandelions and making wine from them (One of the best wines I have ever tasted, and I am not a wine drinker). So in kidding, I told him I would try to make a batch of Jolokia Dandelion Wine to send him. The more you drink, the less you feel the burn!

If you can REALLY make wine from dandelions....I may be able to rival the Nappa Valley.....:rofl:

BTW...I export raw product if anyone's interested! ;)

paulky_2000 said:
If you can REALLY make wine from dandelions....I may be able to rival the Nappa Valley.....:rofl:

BTW...I export raw product if anyone's interested! ;)

I assure you, in all honesty, you can make fantastic wine from dandelions. Now a caveat - John Raymond (dad's cousin who made it) used only blooms and it took bags full - we picked them from a field that was about 2 acres in size. I'm not sure of the recipe but I believe he used a press to squeeze the juice from the blooms, then made a "mash" from it.

boutros said:

I love it, thank you very, very much.

Mike

The cotton seeds arrived today - Southern Exposure Seed Exchange must have been worried about the cold weather, as they wrapped the seeds in - yep - cotton! It's Nankeen Cotton, a brown heirloom variety.

Mike

How about Tobacco? I dont think they grow that normally in Ohio. From what I understand, as long as you arent growing tons of it, it is legal and tax free.

Matt,

Oh, they grow tobacco in Ohio. Grew it as a kid, teenager and adult. The most we ever raised was 17 acres. Tobacco helped pay for part of my college expenses, allowed me to buy a new car ('76 Monza Spider) and got me out of school a bunch (26 days in the first quarter of the year!). But it should be a nice plant to grow, even though I've had plants in my front yard off and on for 20 years.

The stalks make some of the best fertilizer one can imagine.

Mike

Unbelievable - I decided to check my seed container as some basil had germinated in another one last night. Much to my surprise, a cotton seed is poking its head through the mix. Four days! And that's without pre-soaking or otherwise treating them. They are suppose to take from one-three weeks. They are 150-day plants and I was wondering if they would be "ripe" by early August. It looks like at least one will.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Mike

I have seen a guy make jalapeno wine. He made 6 gallons of it. I never tasted it but I can tell you that it was the prettyest green wine you ever saw. I make a LOT of wine myself. I drink wine every evening.

Back