• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Ordered a couple more "stranger to Ohio" seeds today

Phil saw his shadow so I know it means another six weeks of winter here, though Buckeye Chuck didn't so spring will be here in about 42 days or so! I think I read someplace that when groundhogs disagree, it's a good time to order seeds - at least within the next 48 hours.

So today, I visited rareseeds.com and selected a couple of packets of seeds for my "Strangers In Our State" (still working on the titles!) themed container - Blue Bonnet Rice and Mennonite Sorghum. They will go with the coffee, Yicama and cotton.

This has been fun, so far, and I have not even started sowing some seeds, let alone transplanting others into nursery pots or even thought about putting them outside.

Still have to decide on what tomatoes and peppers to grow (I'll have room for about 6-8 pepper and 9-12 mater plants) but this planning sure helps winter to pass in a hurry!

Mike

The Yicama has sprouted! Two weeks from when they were sown. No hoods showing from the coffee yet.

Got my rice and sorghum seeds today, along with Oregano and Cilantro. Hope to sow the herbs today but the others will need to wait a week or two.

Mike

Cool mike, we need pictures of all of these. Also, I got your seeds in the mail today. I am going to try and grow a couple before we kick off our contest later on. Thanks again.

I'm glad they finally arrived. Had major car problems last week, plus had other things I had to do that normally are not on my list.

Don't worry, I'll have so many pics I'll probably be branded a post whore. Probably will not be able to get started on the bed this week - we are supposed to get dumped on from tonight through Wednesday about noon, but who knows! They were predicting a white death last week and we ended up with maybe 3". I can't help but shake my head when some so-called weatherman says he is calling for 4-6", as if he has a direct line to Mother Nature!

Mike

What about black pepper? Like peppercorn pepper (Piper nigrum). Tried once and failed. It is pretty much equatorial I think for the mostpart, but I hear can be pulled off in a greenhouse or indoors.

Sowed about 40 Mennonite sorghum seeds this evening. I looked up the black pepper seeds/plants. It seems they are very hard to grow from seeds and the plants cost between $12-40 depending on how old they are.

Mike

Something I learned from someone, or maybe just decided to do. When it snows too much to anything else, sow seeds. Did it last night and again today - 40 Valencia Peanuts. Today, we set a couple of records: most snowfall on one day in February (8" and counting), most snowfall in February (24" and counting) and February has now exceeded the average snowfall for an entire season. We are suppose to get more tonight, tomorrow, Saturday and Monday!

My biggest concern is not the snowfall but the total accumulated amounts here and all along the areas that drain into the Ohio River. Another couple of storms, followed by a sudden warming spell with a heavy rainfall and we will have a flood that will make 1937 look like a walk in the park.

Mike

Back