• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Ordered more tomato seeds

This is becoming an addiction. My quest is to try different varieties to see what produces the best (by quantity and quality) tomatoes this winter.

I have Siletz and Legend, two types that were developed for the Pacific Northwest season - determinate plants that set fruit in cool weather.

In the next day or so, I should have Florida 91 VFF Hybrid, Cabernet VFFNTA Hybrid and Prairie Fire. Today I ordered Mira, Sacramento and IT-06-313.

During the rest of summer, I hope to grow a couple plants of each, in containers, and chart their production, growth habits, days until maturity, etc. I also am looking for one kind - one I saw but did not write down, that supposedly grows under low intensity light. Two other types that are suppose to be greenhouse tomatoes that look good on paper are Buffalo and Cobra.

Ideas or suggestions are more than welcome!

Mike

Sounds like a great idea Mike. I too have become "addicted" to trying new varieties. I sure wish I had a couple of acres that I could plant. Like a live growing lab.

I got the seeds I ordered from neseed - Mira, Sacramento and IT-06-313. These people are serious. They package the seeds inside the regular paper thingies but then enclose them in a sealed, black plastic wrap. I can't wait to open and sow them, but I have to wait at least another two weeks.

The idea is to start two plants of each type every two weeks apart, until I have at least 32 plants growing. I'm thinking of doing one in hydro, the other in dirt and comparing results.

Mike

The MicroTom tomato grows indoors and in low light conditions. I grew it when I lived in Juneau, Alaska 1 1/2 years ago. The plant grew well enough, and produced a fair amount of tomatoes. But don't fool yourself, if you want tomatoes that taste like tomatoes, they require sunlight.

And sowed them!

So it is the first day of the second half of the year, a time when Aussies start thinking about sowing seeds. :rolleyes: That's OK, I need about 30 plants large enough to transplant by the middle of August at the latest. So I sowed 46 seeds, six different types.

I had never heard of these before, I Googled using different terms, all based around the concept of growing in a Greenhouse and under cooler than normal summer situations. Plus, some of them are resistant to several viruses, which may become important.

These first three I don't know how days until maturity:

IT-06-313 (Indeterminate) (180-220 g) Tolerant to Tobacco Mosaic Virus, Fusarium Wilt Race 2, Verticillium Wilt, Spotted Wilt Virus, Tomato Yellow Leaf Curl Virus and Root Knot Nematode.

Sacramento: (Indeterminate) (180-220 g fruit) Mid maturity. Long shelf life. Tolerant to Tobacco Mosaic Virus, Fusarium Wilt Race 2, Verticillium Wilt and Tomato Yellow Leaf Curl Virus, Bacterial Wilt.

Mira: (Indeterminate) (150-180 g) Tolerant to Tobacco Mosaic Virus, Fusarium Race 2, Verticillum and cooler temperatures.

Florida 91 Determinate 72 days. 280 g. The seeds are white pellets!

Cabernet Determinate 75 days 260-280 g. VFFNTA virus tolerant (not sure what all the letters mean, FF is Fusarium Wilt Race 1 & 2,T+Tobacco Mosaic Virus, V is Verticillium Wilt, N if for Root Knot Nematode.

Prairie Fire - Determinate 55 Days

Back