vendor Ordering plants as opposed to seeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've ordered some from CCN over the years... never had any problems other than one "yellow bhut" actually being red. it's a good way to check out new varieties without investing a lot of work.

I've had pretty good luck ordering plants from a few different vendors. So far all have been (seemingly) true to type. HOWEVER, make sure you check them out closely for bugs. I got my one and only aphid infestation from a mail-order plant.

I've never actually ordered plants per se but I have bought nursery plants before. While it certainly does make life easier, there's always the risk of the plants carrying bad bugs. Ordering/buying from a reputable seller/grower is *always* a good idea but I would still give them a precautionary neeming or something just to be on the safe side. It may seem a little overcautious (especially if you have bought from a reputable seller/grower) but better to be safe than sorry, right? ;)

I bought from Seed Savers Exchange last season. Some tomato and bell varieties. They were shipped and received in great shape and I would totally do it again if I wasn't growing an all super crop. I have heard similar reviews for CCN. It is a good option if you are starting late. CCN has WAAAAAAYYYYY more supers and pepper varieties than any other company out there marketing seedlings, so that is a plus.

Interesting, I didn't know people bought plants.

I'm a new amateur grower from Sydney and looking down-size my collection.

I'm looking for new homes for about 12 young saplings plants (2 inches to 8 inches tall). Do you think people on here would want them?

If so, what would be the best way to do it, get the word around?

These plants include:

Brazilian Starfish
Chocolate habanero
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Purple Bhut Jolokia
Tasmanian red habanero
Aji Amarillo
Scotch bonnet
Burkina Scotch bonnet
Peter p@nis

Thanks

M

(PS I'm new to this site)

if you are only grow a few plants, it is a lot cheaper to just buy them instead of investing in all the seed starting equipment...

I used live plants to augment late seed starts last year....ended up with 2 "nots" out of 8 plants, one I like one I don't. With a reputable grower-why not?
Superhots in the 6" square pots were 10-15$ , ended up with a Chocolate bhut instead of a Scorpion(no loss!), and a mutt instead of a yellow 7.

Just making the point that a lot of rare and/or unusual varieties may not be available in plant form. Some people might skip starting from seed, expecting to buy plants down the road, only to be disappointed that their favorite varieties aren't available. By then it could be too late to start from seed.

Thanks to all of you for the input!! Looks like insects and uncertainty of what you actually get are two major issues, so I'll stick to growing from seed for now. I would really hate to be geared up for Trinidad Scorpions and end up with something much different. That would waste an entire year/season.

I ordered from CCN last year, and have already done so for the coming season. I had no problems with nasties when the plants were opened. They have a good reputation on this site. BakersPeppers, a member here, is also selling plants - you might want to PM him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back