vendor Ordering Seeds outside of US Questions (Aji Oro Rocoto)

Hello!,

This is my first time growing a pepper plant, and I was looking for an Aji Oro Rocoto (plan on surprising my father with locoto peppers next year, and this rocoto variety is the closest to what he described from his own childhood). I found two sites that offer them (Hippy Seed Company and Fataliiseeds), but both are abroad. Essentially it comes down to I've never ordered abroad before and have no idea if a dozen pepper seeds is as easy as ordering and waiting for them to arrive, or if there's a bunch of paper work/custom fees to be paid because they are foreign agricultural goods. If importing is the latter does anyone know any local sources for this pepper?

Thanks for reading and have a good day!

I have ordered seeds from THSC a couple of times and they usually arrive after about 2 weeks. But the seeds that I ordered on August 24th still haven't arrived. Contacted Neil from THSC and he said he would send a new package. Delay is probably COVID related. But in the mean time I also sent some of my own seeds to THSC and they did arrive over there after 3 weeks...

I have ordered seeds from a few different places overseas and in all but one have received them.  The one time was from Semillas.  Here is the post I made in a previous thread about this.  (I just copied and pasted here)
Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:54 PM

Tybo, on 27 Sept 2019 - 3:16 PM, said:
Tybo said:

I have had seeds on order from Semillas for over a month now.  I'm beginning to think that customs may have confiscated mine.  I did contact Semillas and they said if they were confiscated that I would receive a letter from them (customs) but I haven't received one yet.  I guess there's still hope. 
I'm curious if you received a letter?

So far it appears that I am in the 1% category.

Well, I just received this package today.  29NOV19!!  It had been slit open, the contents removed and a "mail interception notice" inside from customs.  The intercepted material is listed as "Unknown Seed". (even though it was declared "small lots of seeds, Capsicum species, origin Spain)
Disposition states Prohibited Material Removed and Destroyed.
Reason For Disposition is listed as Material not authorized entry and Phyto-sanitary certificate is missing.
The remarks section states "Seed(s) for propagation, w/o proper documentation; (legible English language original phytosanitary certificate), are prohibited entry. "USDA lpomoea Aquatica is an invasive weed.
Huh?  I ordered pepper seeds.  Not an invasive weed.  
Oh, well.  Just my luck but I'm surprised it took so long.  26AUG19 is the date on the envelope.

So, to those who order seeds from overseas without a permit, it is possible you won't get them.  Just be forewarned.

I have ordered from them since then and received my order.  So like I said above:  it is possible you may not get them.

MarcV said:
I have ordered seeds from THSC a couple of times and they usually arrive after about 2 weeks. But the seeds that I ordered on August 24th still haven't arrived. Contacted Neil from THSC and he said he would send a new package. Delay is probably COVID related. But in the mean time I also sent some of my own seeds to THSC and they did arrive over there after 3 weeks...

The seeds I ordered on August 24th have arrived just today after 2 months  :surprised:

Back