• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

organic Organic pest control..?

Color is a minor thing.  They change when they're in mating mode, stressed, hunting, etc, etc, etc.
These are one of the slowest and most docile of Florida's lizards.  They're also not very smart. LOL
But they are mostly arboreal, so they may help your garden with the hornworm problem.  They can definitely handle them.

acs1 said:

WTF..? Solid7 you gave me the kiss of death... Never had any aggressive Cuban Anoles around here.

Nope never saw even 1. Till today. This guy is big, the pic is deceiving. His head reminds me of a large snake head, mouth got to be 2-2.5" across and his length at least 1-1.5' long. He was hiding in my hab when I went to water it this morning. Didn't see him as he was wrapped around the stem and matched the green foliage pretty good. Went to pull out some dead leafs and he jumped me, the fugger. Surprised me so much I dropped the water can and almost fell down... Thats the last thing I expected when looking for white flys/aphids/etc, and a huge big toothy mouth liz jumps out at me, damn.

Those sukers got some big sharp teeth. Tried to chase him out with a wooden stake dowel maybe about 1/4" and he bit it in half... Snapped it like a twig. And held his ground. I watched him for a while. He almost caught a Red Cardinal by the leg that landed by him. Do they eat birds..? Will they damage my plants..?

So, it's coincidental that your experience was mirrored yesterday, with my local fauna. You asked if lizards eat birds.  No, not unless we're talking about the Nile Monitors.  However...  I observed your anole/cardinal situation here.  One of my curly-tails went after a bluejay.  Chased him across several beds. These are usually very good natured critters, but they can definitely be territorial.  This one was clearly defending its food patch.  it didn't seem to mind the bluejay, so long as it stayed up high.  But when it came down to ground level...
Also...  That bluejay was observed skewering a pod on one of my Brazilian Starfish plants.  I saw it.  Even got it stuck on his beak, and had to shake it off.  They don't do this a lot, but they do it, for sure.

solid7 said:

So, it's coincidental that your experience was mirrored yesterday, with my local fauna. You asked if lizards eat birds.  No, not unless we're talking about the Nile Monitors.  However...  I observed your anole/cardinal situation here.  One of my curly-tails went after a bluejay.  Chased him across several beds. These are usually very good natured critters, but they can definitely be territorial.  This one was clearly defending its food patch.  it didn't seem to mind the bluejay, so long as it stayed up high.  But when it came down to ground level...
Also...  That bluejay was observed skewering a pod on one of my Brazilian Starfish plants.  I saw it.  Even got it stuck on his beak, and had to shake it off.  They don't do this a lot, but they do it, for sure.

Makes sense...

Luv watching the Florida wildlife around my lake. Its spectacular imo. Recently noticed we just got a few baby gators about 10-12" long that come up to sun once in a while. They are cute, but really no room for a big one here in my small lake.

Hope that jay doesn't get a taste for your peppers and want to spice up a lizard meal with another Brazilian starfish...

Back