• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

organic Organics 101

Proud Marine Dad, ye but it has that extra twang.  Sometimes I feel out of place in these conversations.  If that stuff is my compost pile, then I flip my compost with the bucket on my tractor.  Most folk around here turn the handle on their barrel.  In another conversation, people were comparing prices on manure.  I know folk who make good money to haul it off.  

pepper_rancher said:

Yep!  But dont worry the filter wont hurt anything, its just like having leaves in your grass clippings (carbon and nitrogen).

For anyone that doesnt know,  just walk into a starbucks and say "do you have any used coffee grounds"; they will know what you are asking for and bring you what they have (if someone hasnt already recently come in and claimed what they have)

Another thing too. I've had them tell me to call and make sure they have some for me. We've hit 4 or 5 in an evening and made out like bandits!!

Well, I started. A novel start but a start just the same. I haven't decided on what type if any composting container I will end up using. Right now I am just accumulating lawn cuttings into a pile and throwing whatever sticks and dried stalks of weeds I can find into it.

If gardening is one of your main passions then I suggest investing in a real nice composting system. I had to buy a tumbler due to lack of space and aesthetics. Went with the Mantis, some day I'll buy the Jora, but just too much now. I like the Mantis because of its shape. Perfectly round so if the base fails I can still roll it on the ground to mix. Second thought, I'd probably just build a new base before I did that.

That said. If I had space I'd just load material in a pile and mix

I've come to that conclusion as well. I will degas if I'm making compost tea, but not to just water my garden. 

So basically yet another reason to have a nice mulch layer. Chlorine will latch on in the mulch layer and have a diminished ppm and affect on the soil below. That's assuming that the killing of some microbes would affect your grow, which it sounds like it doesn't anyway. My water only averages about .6 ppm during testing.  http://www.ci.wilsonville.or.us/DocumentCenter/View/476

ColdSmoke said:
If gardening is one of your main passions then I suggest investing in a real nice composting system. I had to buy a tumbler due to lack of space and aesthetics. Went with the Mantis, some day I'll buy the Jora, but just too much now. I like the Mantis because of its shape. Perfectly round so if the base fails I can still roll it on the ground to mix. Second thought, I'd probably just build a new base before I did that.

That said. If I had space I'd just load material in a pile and mix
I picked up my second Smith & Hawken Biostack compost bin on Sunday so now I have twice as much capacity. You can never have too much compost!

ColdSmoke said:
I've come to that conclusion as well. I will degas if I'm making compost tea, but not to just water my garden. 

So basically yet another reason to have a nice mulch layer. Chlorine will latch on in the mulch layer and have a diminished population and affect on the soil below. That's assuming that the killing of some microbes would affect your grow, which it sounds like it doesn't anyway. My water only averages about .6 ppm during testing.  http://www.ci.wilsonville.or.us/DocumentCenter/View/476
Yes it does kill some microbes but as the article stated they reproduce so fast it has little effect on the soil food web.

miguelovic said:
Excellent link. Was just thinking about and googling that the other day. Came to much the same result, but not nearly as well explained.
Glad it was helpful. Reading that short article also got me thinking about something else..... If the beneficial bacteria reproduce that fast then I think that is a good reason to not waste time making ACT.
It may have its place to get a colony started but soil drenching with ACT every week or two is probably a waste of time but that's just my thoughts on the subject. ;)

Going to try something on my four pepper plants that I put on my Cannabis recently which made them grow impressively in a short time.

I put chopped fresh comfrey over the top of the soil on my Canna and then sprinkled 1/4 cup of each of kelp meal, alfalfa meal and neem cake and then covered it all with about 2" of homemade compost and watered it.
Within a week or so the plants greened up a lot more and grew quite a bit. Curious if this will do the same to the four Thai pepper plants I have in 10 gallon Root Pouches?
I will cut it down to a 1/8 cup per amendment as the Canna plants are in 17 gallon totes.

As I started to reply I had some reservations. One of course regarding it use with peppers.  You stated, the wood soaks up the excess water, stores it like a reservoir. And I will assume then, as the growing area requires, wicks the needed moisture from the wood below.
We know peppers do not like excessive moisture and without the natural drainage system in place, How would you regulate the moisture content of the growing area? Or, is this not an ideal method for peppers in general?

The question I am raising is similar to the concept of growing peppers in a large pot with plenty of drainage hole but a media the has a natural ability to retain too much moisture. Which is why so many of use make our own medias.

Just received my 50 lb bag of Acadian Kelp meal today via FedEx.
I bet that driver was huffing and puffing carrying that box. :lol:

This thread needs more activity. Come on guys. :eh:

Loving this thread so far. What's everyone's opinion on tilling? I till in my compost and any additives the first few inches and call it a day. What do you think?

Back