• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Organics are OK but.... I got aphids real bad!!

I've been applying neem oil every couple of days to my chillis, but alas, the aphids keep returning from other infected plants that I don't care about, but can't remove for one reason or another.

So, what are my options for a pre-emptive strike? Can I place baits? Something a bit more powerful, but not likely to give me three armed children?

Any help would be appreciated.

RS

It doesn't matter what you spray them with, if you don't spray all the infested plants the aphids will re-infest your favorite plants.

You can try yellow sticky traps between the good plants and the neglected plants, but that will only slow re-infestation down, it won't stop it.

Pam said:
I
You can try yellow sticky traps between the good plants and the neglected plants, but that will only slow re-infestation down, it won't stop it.
And you will catch beneficial insects as well.

they're weird crafty little buggers. when one colony is getting big some will sprout wings and carry nymphs or eggs from plant to plant and just drop them off and go on to the next plant.

Wrennie said:
And you will catch beneficial insects as well.

I've never found any beneficial insect on my yellow sticky traps. Found lots and lots of ahpids and whiteflies, though.

teh purple penguins said:
will the neem help against aphids? i thought someone told me on another thread that neem will not kill em. ?

Yes, Neem is an insecticide. Mixed correctly, it will kill aphids.

and 7500 lady bugs too...(from experience)

have a very few left...maybe 25 or 30...haven't seen any young ones to date and I moved my "growbox" plants outside for good this morning...

Evidently the aphid population in North Texas is going wild this year....everyone seems to have them...my nursery is out of neem oil concentrate...he said it is the first time he has ever sold out of it...

NOTE: IF YOU BUY PLANTS FROM A NURSERY OR OTHER SOURCE, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND TREATING WITH NEEM OR OTHER ORGANIC PESTICIDE BEFORE INTEGRATING INTO YOUR GARDEN/GREENHOUSE...

Do you have access to any useful creatures like ladybug larvae? We can order them by mail here and they are very reliable and effective as well as 100%organic.

The package I got my lady bugs in said not to use them any time after a neem application...didn't say how long....but I will tell you...the neem killed the lady bugs for at least 5 weeks...

Back