• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Origin of the 7-pot BBG (bubble gum)

I see a lot of crosses now that include the characteristic bleeding into the stem from the original BBG 7 pot, but where did that trait come from? How did the original bubblegum come to exsist?

From my readings and research, Because I was wondering the same thing, the name comes from the "pink/red" color that bleeds thorugh the cap. The original cross was supposedly a Red Moruga Scorpiona and a trinidad yellow 7 pot. although I am not sure how accurate this is. you can find a decent article here http://www.superhotchiles.com/bubblegumgallery.html I stumbled upon it a couple months ago. 

Interesting. I wonder how 2 similar peppers with normal stems came to create a larger colored stem? I guess that's just the magic of genetics.

Jeffcontonio said:
Interesting. I wonder how 2 similar peppers with normal stems came to create a larger colored stem? I guess that's just the magic of genetics.
still not sure on that.  Some the hybrids i grow that are crossed with the bubblegum will bleed as well.

jedisushi06 said:
still not sure on that.  Some the hybrids i grow that are crossed with the bubblegum will bleed as well.
Yes there are lots of peppers now that are crossed with the 7 pot bubblegum that now have the bleeding stem. I've seen reds, peach, yellow and brown/chocolate peppers that have the same color bleed. I'm just curious where the original 7 pot bubblegum came from. A few years back it didn't exist. I don't know of any pepper before the 7-pot bubblegum to have that.

Jeffcontonio said:

It could be one of the recessive genes that were selectively reproduced over a bit of time. That is one thing I am familiar is selective breeding from my days in breeding reptiles, and rodents. (They come hand in hand) you more or less get to play. You see certain traits that you want carried on and continue focusing on offspring that show the traits. so you are taking a recessive gene and make it dominant. Pretty cool actually. and with time and patience it is not to hard to accomplish.

Blitz527 said:

It could be one of the recessive genes that were selectively reproduced over a bit of time. That is one thing I am familiar is selective breeding from my days in breeding reptiles, and rodents. (They come hand in hand) you more or less get to play. You see certain traits that you want carried on and continue focusing on offspring that show the traits. so you are taking a recessive gene and make it dominant. Pretty cool actually. and with time and patience it is not to hard to accomplish.

Oh, no kidding! My dad was into breeding snakes a few years back. This was one of his big ones.
98a0accd59c9b4f79a4a6edf7443bdd8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From Refining Fire Chiles.> Bubblegum 7 Pot

This is a 3rd generation cross developed by Jon Harper a grower in the U.K in 2011- 2012. It is a cross between a red Moruga Scorpion and a Trinidad Yellow 7 Pot. It retains the look of the Moruga Scorpion but has a unique feature in that a light pink color sometimes bleeds up through the top of the pepper into the stem. 

NECM

Jeffcontonio said:
Very cool. Thanks everyone

Also interesting is the Borg 9 (aka: Bleeding Borg 9), which came to be from 2 other crosses, crossed into one.

Nagalah, is a Naga/Douglah cross.

And obviously the BBG7 as mentioned is the Moruga/Yellow 7 Pot

Then the Nagalah and BBG7 crossed together to make the Borg 9.

Datil said:
Borg 9 and Bleeding Borg 9 are two different hybrids... Original Borg 9 did not "bleeds".
It's getting confusing isn't? :D

Cya

Datil
Yes, I believe the Borg9 is Nagalah x BBG7, and Bleeding Borg9 is BBG7 x Nagalah... thus different mother plants.

Back