• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Orozco

One of my purchases from Cross Country Nurseries this year. Looks a lot like the Bulgarian Carrot, it's also from E. Europe. Tastes similar to the Hungarian Hot Wax, but sweeter with less heat. Nice to munch straight off the plant.

Orozco2.jpg

that looks like a bulgarian carrot.

It's interesting because a lot of what I heard about orozco says it has leaves that go purple, and the pods go purple then red.
It's hard to find out the truth sometimes as a lot of sellers just copy other's desription.
eg on thechileman.org, they describe it with purple leaves and stems, and many other sites just say the same word for word almost. But to make it worse thechileman.org uses crosscountrynursuries photo that looks like your plant!

Anyway, I've got 2 'orozco' seedlings and they are turning purple and they are only a month old. Cotyledons completely purple, true leaves green and turning purple already.
So either you have a bulgarian carrot, or I have something that everyone else calls 'orozco' but CCN don't.

edit: Reimers say they are like yours (ie. a bulgarian carrot too).

But all the european sellers (where I bought mine from) say they should have purple leaves.
eg www.chileseeds.co.uk or www.pepperseeds.eu/

Yes, the black to red ripening Orozco has been out there for some years as far as I know - but it seems that a sweet pepper somehow got the same name... It seems to me that the pictured sweet pepper is quite similar to a lot of different snack pepper varieties with a small seed cavity becoming increasingly popular. Is the pod seedy or only concentrated to the top of the pepper.

The Bulgarian Carrot looks more like a typical carrot than this one, i.e. it is more elongated. Here's a photo of some Bulgarian Carrots I have grown:
DSCN3041c.jpg

Donnie, the orozco's seeds are concentrated at the top and less numerous than a jalapeno. There are more seeds than the sweet orange "mini-bell" peppers I've been growing.

Back