• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce otc hot sauce

Hello All'
My name is Jim. I want to tell you a bit about my hot sauce preferance. I enjoy sauce with a lot of heat, but I find myself disapointed when all the sauce has to offer is some crazy hot attitude with no flavor to back it up. I find alot of the real hot sauces tend to taste like cigarette tobaco and capisin. I must say that Tobasco is still my favorite over the counter hot sauce, simply because it has a respectable flavor profile along with a good heat signature. El yucatan hot sauce is a bit hotter and the flavor profile is also pretty good. There was a hot sauce that I use to buy at wallmart called Marie Sharps wich had a very nice haet signature and an ok flavor profile, but it is nom longer available at my local wallmart. Franks is a good one also it is more flavor than heat but I am happy to see it when nothing else is available. Some times when I am in a reasturant they will carry a brand that is only available to reasturants called House Recipie which is very good for a generic hjot sauce.As far as the other hot sauces they try to pass off as such (that I don't particularly care for) Texas pete, Louisiana Hot Sauce, or any thing that just says hot sauce.
My question to anyone who cares to reply to my above statment is, "Do you know of or recommend ant over the counter hot sauces(by over the counter I mean ones that you can find in stores, not have to know sombody to get some)that have more to offer than just heat or salt(not that salt is bad I know some of the sauces I mentioned above have more than there fair share of salt)?
The hotter the better, but if there is no flavor the sauce is a failure.
If you can get any of the rocketman sauces they have a reel nice flavor and a respectable heat.

For heat and flavor I recommend Heartbreakingdawns.com. The 1841 is made with ghost pepper and the 1498 is trinidad scorpion. Both have a LOT of flavor. It packs a nice heat and not too overwelming.

You will receive many recommendations here!

I've been able to find Mad Dog at the supermarket chain here in MA. Dave's sauces are fantastically flavored and some fantastically hot. I found another readily available sauce that I really love the flavor of, although I have to spice it up, Cholula.

Welcome Jinx! My Favorite "over the counter" (right now) is Tapatio It's not death hot, but a great combo. Pour it on everything!
Like Mass said above, Cholula's good to, pretty cool bottle as well.
Good luck! and have fun.

If you can buy it in a big store chain it's probably not going to be really hot because 90% of the general public can't take heat at the level your looking for. I would try a few local made sauces or sauces from the guys that make them here. Trust me you won't be disappointed in the level of heat or flavor.

What's with this over the counter hot sauce? Is some prescription?? :?:

I just found one I really like, and got it at TJ Maxx!!! Melinda's Bhut Jolokia sauce. It's made with papaya and passion fruit. Really nice flavor and bhuts are the 1st ingredient. No extracts or anything. The only thing I don't like is that it's a bit seedy.

I am personally yet to find an "over the counter" hot sauce that packs much of a punch heat wise (except a rare few places will carry some of the blaires or dave's sauces which can get pretty hot).

I recently tried something that may be worth your while - I took a full bottle of the cheapo kroger brand hot sauce that had an ok flavor to my palate, threw it in a blender with a couple fresh bhuts and a couple teaspoons of hab powder, and wham! Similar flavor (plus some ;))with a much more searing heat. I really liked the result. Took 5 minutes. Try it, worst case scenario you are out $2.50.

Back