• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Out Door Pots and Furtilizers

Nice and organized. You should try and get some pictures this year of it all. NIce selection!!! And You have the best climate too for it. Very nice.

have to disagree with you on the "best climate" Capsicum...it get's too nasty hot in the summer here and we lose July and August production...

if you get your plants out early enough, you may get an early harvest but the last of June, the progression starts...the flowers are still producing pollen, but the pollen is sterile that causes flower drop...the next stage is the flowers are opening but not producing pollen...then the plants will stop blooming almost all together and don't start blooming again until the September cool down...then the process reverses itself...flowers but no pollen, flowers with sterile pollen, then flowers with viable pollen that lets the pods set...I have watched it year in and year out...you are lucky if you get a good harvest before the first frost...this past year, I had about 60 pounds of superhots still on the vine green when the first frost/freeze hit...matter of fact, they are still on the bushes...dead of course...

what I found out this past year with the Trinidad varieties is they love high humidity and temperatures about mid 90s day time and high 60s/low 70s at night...and the high humidity causes a heavy dew in the mornings...so heavy that if you walk down the rows at 8 am, you will be soaking wet within 50 yds...that, my friend is perfect scorpion growing weather...plants will get huge if planted in the ground in a good sandy loamy soil...here in North Texas, that just isn't happening during the summer here...

Yea it is not the "best". But I live in the northeast and anywhere in Texas is better then my climate for peppers. lol

Very nice videos AJ that is amazing!

I realize my lateness in getting started is going to cause challenges ... I'm hoping to over come with some 40% shade cloth and an early morning mister hooked to a large fan sprayed above the plants simulating humidity and some due condensation. Might even wrap the buckets a little. Its all theory I'm still researching. But as AJ said, the Texas summers are the very reason I am looking at hydroponics. That and space.

As for pictures, I am doing time lapse on the seedlings and many pics in HD. Trying to mostly keep those on my personal blog or the glog I started in the glog section.

On a good note, left for work with 33 sprouts, going to bed with 44 - BOOYA!!!!

AJ love the vids, I'm gonna have over to Ft Worth one of these days and meet you.

Thanks again all,
Gerry

cool...hey, why don't you start a GLOG here on the forum...or do you already have one that I missed?

if I didn't grow as many plants as I do, I would have attacked this hobby from another perspective...indoor/outdoor grow hydroponically...however, I have so much money tied up in the system I have developed over the past 5 years, I just can't change horses in the middle of the stream...and the wife freaked out when she saw last months electric bill...over $200 for my lights in the growrage...

So I started a GLOG. Even with a few flourescents and LED the heat along with 115 degree temperatures outside makes air conditioning to0 expensive. I only do indoor hydro over the winter and I run the lights at night. I am maybe into my second week of outdoor hydro and I already am going to do it differently next year. I am working on it too much. I want it easy.

By any measure I am ten times better than I was 2 years ago. Many peppers had to die so that the new peppers may live. That is why I kind of want to tell the new guys who just started growing peppers that 200 plants may be a bit much.
The exception would be the experienced gardner, which I am not. If he just decides to go crazy with peppers one year he probably will do it right.

Back