• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Out of these choices, which would you grow, or grow again?

So I ordered my seeds for next years crops. This year I did Trinidad Scorpions Moruga Blend, Trinidad Douglah, Chocolate Habaneros, Giant Jalapeno, Purple Cayenne, Orange Ghost, and Red Ghost. I ordered more Giant Jalapeno, Trinidad Scorpion Butch T, and White Bhut's, but I also go for free Trinidad 7 Pod Brain Strain Yellow, Trinidad Large 7 Pod Yellow, and more Red Bhuts. I liked the Douglah's, Moruga's, and the Ghosts, the Chocolate Habaneros weren't really my favorite. Out of all these, what's been your experience, or what was your favorite to grow?

I am always wanting to try something new. Jalapenos are a must grow.

Next year I am going further into the wild territory. I already have a few varieties podding up this year.

Where did you find the white bhuts?  My fiancees grandfather was telling me he's had people tell him about those and wanted to grow them but couldn't find them.

My favs are the ButchTs, Yellow 7 pots, Douglahs, and Giant Jalapenos.  My Butch T pheno at least is the most awesome plant ever (production, hardiness, looks, pod shape, and the flavor and burn are both spectacular.  Yellow 7s are great producers and vigorous plants with a pleasant taste/burn.  Douglahs have a beautiful color.  And ofc jalapenos are just my fav hot pepper... so I have to pick it as well.  Those are my personal favorites out of those... but I like all of the ones you listed with the exception of the purple cayennes (never tried them) but I absolutely love all cayennes so I am sure they will be good.  It would be hard for me to say that you should not grow red/orange bhuts... because they are so awesome as well.

Will definitely grow again the white bhut....
IMAG0448_zpsdd8b7953.jpg

IMAG0376_zps0a858e75.jpg

Grew a red Bhut last year and out of two plants got only 3 pods... So im very happy with how this one is producing....

I am in my 3rd year of growing douglahs, and see you also like those. I grew purple cayennes one year and decided against growing them again, as I didn't feel I got enough bang for the effort. I'm not referring to heat, but the pods are small, thin-walled, and highly full of seeds - more effort than I wanted to put into them. On the other hand, I absolutely love the flavor of purple jalapenos over other jalapenos, and am willing to make the effort to deseed though small. 

But to your question - you really can't take the opinion of others on "what should you grow", as taste is very subjective. Also, some people focus on heat while others focus on flavor. I'd recommend you keep trying different varieties, swapping out the ones you don't like with new ones to try, and keep growing the ones you like - only you know what you really like.

browning, I ordered all my seeds from www.pepperlover.com. I had a lot of fun with the Giant Jalapenos last year. Mine grew really well, with huge peppers on all of them. My only regret this year is not making any hot sauces yet, or smoking any peppers yet. I better get on the ball if I want to get something out before the end of the season.

geeme, my purple cayenne was a mistake from pepperlover.com. It came with my Giant Jalapeno seeds, and for a while, I thought it would be a Jalapeno. Towards the end of the season here though, I pulled it up and got about 70+ pods from it. I deseeded them and made some decent powder. I thought it would be purple, but as it dried, it turned greenish. It's still got some decent flavor and heat.

Thanks if I can't find a good source through trading I'll order from her.  More likely to grow true that way any how

Back