• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

outdoor hydro setup

Who here is doing an outdoor grow? I've searched but seem to find indoor setups.

If you're growing peppers outdoors and care to share, I'd love to see how you do the voodoo that you do.

i currently have 3 DWC buckets on my balcony. i have wrapped them in foil tape and i have POly sheets with the white side facing out werapped around for insulation. since you need to keep the res temps in the 60's-low 70's for root health. this really helped me. i use aqua sheild, and GH flora nova "bloom" and they like it. i have an eco air commercial 3 pump 2 air lines go to 5 gallon buckets one with PH adjusted water to bubble the chlorine out, and the other is for Myco/compost tea for my soil plants. any questions ask away i will try to answer
here is my brain strain been in the bucket since last Aug. had a few weeks where i realized the res temps were too hot(95F) and once i did what i mention above it dropped to where i like it. this is my first year growing hydro so any pods will be a victory and so far 6 pods and 30+still on the plant
DSC_0008.jpg

i run a drip to waste hydro system using blumats. its not up and running again yet, as the space is occupies is a worksite at the moment...

That's a good looking brain sir. Thanks for the pics.

Anyone else doing a grow that's on the large scale? I remember seeing someone growing a lot of habs in either a NFT or DWC system in the backyard but that was sometime ago.

I've got 50-60 plants that I want to do in hydro but am out of home built ideas. A prebuilt system is way out of the question.

i currently have 3 DWC buckets on my balcony. i have wrapped them in foil tape and i have POly sheets with the white side facing out werapped around for insulation. since you need to keep the res temps in the 60's-low 70's for root health. this really helped me.

Thank you for probably plant life saving info.

I know it probably doesn't help you much, but Epcot at Disney World in Florida has a pretty large scale hydro pepper garden. I haven't actually seen it, but the last time my parents went down there they took some pictures and sent them to me.

A quick bit of Google research indicates that they're all grown in a greenhouse as part of "The Land" ride, but they're all still some form of hydro or another.

I've been growing watermelon, pumpkin, brocoli, tomato and chili outside hydroponicly.
I threw in a f1 super chili in with the watermelon because I didn't want to kill off one of my double sprouted seedlings, and it took off crazily. now that the watermelon has done its thing and died off I'm going to move my indoor super chili into the bath to make room for other chilies inside.
I'm using the nft system, which is a fairly cheap way of doing hydroponics. Dwc works well and can be cheaper again but I find that to be a pain to check the water ph and nutrient levels. its a pain lifting off the lid with the plant attached to check such things.
there are ways around that but I wasn't set up for that this year.
nft is easy for maintainence and its easy to have a big reservoir under the bath so running out of water isn't a big issue on hot days during summer.
I have a 60ltr plastic fermenter that I use as a reservoir, cheapo submersable pump, hose, expanded clay and a bath tub I found on the side of the road.
I'm only going to have two super chilies in that bath for now... but come summer I plan on having plants that dont spread sideways so much, these super chilies really take up alot of space.
P1020523.jpg

P1020524.jpg

P1020526.jpg

Thank you David. Those are some nice looking plants you have in the tub.

Is anyone doing a Dutch bucket system outdoors with 5 gallon buckets? I can get those for almost free through work and the likeinstead of paying $6-7 for a bato bucket. I think I have a decent design sketched out but also feel it could be improved.

Thanks ahead of time and pictures are always appreciated.

Mike

Those are some nice set ups there! For right now I have 2 2.5 gal DWC buckets jamming outside. I have a 3 yr old Fatalli on one and the other bucket with 3 sites; Trinidad Scorp Orig., Choco Bhut, and Yellow Scotch Bonnet. Inside I have a 1.5 gal tub with 3 sites including 3 cloning sites, on this one I have a Billy goat, Lemon Drop, Choco Hab and a newly cloned 7 Pod Jonah. I plan to clone the Billy Goat as soon as its big enough. Then next to that one indoors, I have a 5 gal tub with tomatoes, 6 sites: 2 Black from Tula, German Pink, San Marzano, and 2 Purple Calabash. I plan to move the majority of them to a large 10 gal tote outdoors as soon as they get a little bigger. When I put my 2.5 gal bucket out side, the wind and heat beat the hell out of my Scotch bonnet and Trinidad Scorp, but they have hardened up and are adding new growth at a fast rate. Im using Vita Grow powdered nutes. The nutes are cheap but do a great job. Last year I got great results using hydro outside, only problem was that I didnt put em out early enough and had a first frost and the pods were not fully grown yet. This year I started early.

if you want hydro outside for that many plants you either need a drip system or (my suggestion) would be a Dutch Bucket system. Any thing else would be way to much work. I would bury my reservoir (55 gal barrel) a couple of feet into the ground to help keep the water temp stable and cooler. Only way i would do that many Plants out side.

Look at my glog ( link in the signature) - I use coconut coir with perlite, for both outdoor plants in greenhouse and those that are fully outdoor with rain etc.

The only problem is that if it rains too often or for too long, you need to add more ferts more often as they are flushed. Otherwise just great !

Back