• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Outdoor seedlings

I started some seeds (Thank you Jamie) in paper towels and transplanted them into small pots after germination. Once they sprouted above the soil I put them in full shade for two or three and then I put them in filtered shade under the pepper plants for about a week. I am growing them out to overwinter so I want them to grow as quickly as possible, how and when should I acclimate them to full sun? It is still 95F+ outside and I feel like they will cook really easily. They are Datil and Aji Lemon (baccatums), if that matters.

Thanks
Phil

Seems like your off to a good start by getting outside in a shaded area. Some plants take a few days to fully harden off some take a week or longer. I usually put them outside in direct sun when I have time to check on them every 30 min or so to see if they are wilting on not. If they wilt after say 30 min you know you need to go slow if they last 3 hours just find a space that gives them 3 hours of sun a day for a week or so unil they can handle more.

I try to put mine in an area where they get sun part of the day. Then as they toughen I try to put them in a spot where they get sun all day. It is best to toughen your young plants as soon as possible.

It is still over 100 degrees here, and I am still starting plants. I anticipate growing right through winter. We rarely get more than one or two frosts here.

Seems like your off to a good start by getting outside in a shaded area. Some plants take a few days to fully harden off some take a week or longer. I usually put them outside in direct sun when I have time to check on them every 30 min or so to see if they are wilting on not. If they wilt after say 30 min you know you need to go slow if they last 3 hours just find a space that gives them 3 hours of sun a day for a week or so unil they can handle more.

+1

Cool, I will leave them in the shade for a few days until they put on some size then try moving them out and checking on them. Right now they are all still on their first pair of leaves.

Back