• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

dried oven dried pods

chilli whisperer said:
Hey,sorry if its in the wrong section,but what temo should I put my oven on for drying pods?
Thanks
J

Hmmm, thats tough and depends on your oven.  My oven's lowest setting is 150 degrees F, and that is at the top range for a dehydrator I believe.  Ideally you want around 100 deg "F"  sorry I am to lazy to do conversion if you use metric, they always say the slower you dehydrate the better to preserve flavor. 

Thats about all I know, I just use a very cheap gravity risen dehydrator I got for $20 instead of oven.  It can be a pain because I have to flip trays while drying, the first tray nearest the heat elements is the hottest but its a small thing really.  Its not that an ardueous a task.

cheers

It depends on the desired outcome. I use a dehydrator set at 90F and let it run until the pods are crispy (and may remove thinner-walled pods sooner than thicker-walled pods.) It may take a few days at this temp, depending on general humidity. I dry them this low because at lower temperatures the seeds remain viable and the color is better retained. 

If you don't have (and don't want to buy) a dehydrator, you can do them in the oven at the lowest setting, but I recommend propping the door open with a wooden spoon or stick.

i did the lowest on my oven i think it was 170 with the convection fan on. They came out as dried with a little roasted flavor which i thought was a bonus so i was pleased.

Back