• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

over fertilization?

hi all, 

I've done container growing of super hots for a couple seasons now. Mostly just using miracle gro potting mix with only okay results. 

This year i decided to scale up, and im concerned i've nitrogen poisoned my plants. 

I have 3 reapers, 5 ghosts, 3 habaneros (about 6-8 inches tall) that i've just transplanted into 12 inch pots (~10 L, 2.5 gallon). They have holes for drainage  

my media mix is as follows:

5-6 parts black kow composted/mature manure (0.5,0.5,0.5)
1-2 parts miracle gro potting mix 
0.5 part perlite 
0.5 part vermiculite 
0.2 part blood meal (14% N)
less than 0.1 part epsom salt 

what do you think??

Wrex 

You may have a soil compaction issue. That is an extremely heavy mix. I find that peppers need very airy, well drained medium to avoid this problem, you need much more perlite, peat, and preferably pine bark chips or coconut husk chips to air that mixture out. My guess is the roots are rotting and/or suffocating. It may not be too late to repot them.

Hope this helps. Best of luck with them.

TB

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Wrex said:
my media mix is as follows:

5-6 parts black kow composted/mature manure (0.5,0.5,0.5)
1-2 parts miracle gro potting mix 
0.5 part perlite 
0.5 part vermiculite 
0.2 part blood meal (14% N)
less than 0.1 part epsom salt 

what do you think??

troutbeer said:
You may have a soil compaction issue. That is an extremely heavy mix. I find that peppers need very airy, well drained medium to avoid this problem, you need much more perlite, peat, and preferably pine bark chips or coconut husk chips to air that mixture out. My guess is the roots are rotting and/or suffocating. It may not be too late to repot them.

Hope this helps. Best of luck with them.

TB

I started responding to this yesterday with the same thoughts - Why so heavy? I too use Miracle-Gro Potting Mix but I add perlite 
(The Differences Between Vermiculite Vs. Perlite and When to Use Each ) and 1/3 more Peat Moss..

ED720WV.jpg

VVQ27eI.jpg

kD68pWc.jpg

@NECM: Thanks for that link on comparing perlite to vermiculite.  It always seemed to me that more people mention perlite than vermiculite here on THP.  I think I understand why now (better drainage and more optimal water retention for peppers).

DontPanic said:
@NECM: Thanks for that link on comparing perlite to vermiculite.  It always seemed to me that more people mention perlite than vermiculite here on THP.  I think I understand why now (better drainage and more optimal water retention for peppers).

Yes. Many years ago I read an experienced pepper growers treatise on why perlite was superior to vermiculite with potting media & peppers. Glad that link conveyed the same message!

Back