• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering over wintering plants in doors

1/15/12 update:
trio
100_0991.jpg

Bhut
100_0993.jpg

100_0992.jpg

100_0997.jpg

Fatali
100_0994.jpg

100_0998.jpg

100_0988.jpg

T.Scorp
100_0996.jpg

100_0999.jpg

100_0987.jpg

Lookin' good. I have my Rocotos in pots the same size as yours.

If you removed all the leaves you should be relatively safe, but make sure you give them a quick once over occasionally... somehow aphids ended up on one of my plants, though I managed to save the rest from that fate.

I trim mine back to about 8 inches tall, leaving all the main branches, and remove most of the leaves, leaving only a few small ones. Then pull apart the root ball and untangle any roots that have become tangled and get them all separated and going in the same direction. Then I trim the rootball back to about the size of a large grapefruit. Then they go in 1 gallon containers. I place a little fresh potting mix in the bottom, then set the rootball in the pot, pour potting mix around it. Then shake the stem while pulling the plant up slowly (to distribute the potting mix around the roots without compressing the roots) until it's at the depth I want it, then fill out the rest of the space with potting mix. Then I thoroughly water the plants and keep them moist for the next week or two, and keep them out of strong sunlight (which isn't an issue here at this point in the year anyway). It's pretty easy. Mine were out in 40-50 degree temps for the last 2 weeks and they're fine. Most of them are already putting on new leaves. I just brought them in and put them under my light today, where they'll stay for the winter, along with my citrus trees and miracle fruit. It looks like the first freeze will be here soon.

That's how I do it, and it works for me. Guru's guide is good though, you should definitely check that out.

While you're hacking off branches you might want to consider taking some cuttings too. I took 3 Butch T cuttings from what I hacked off.

Great method - nice and simple, relatively speaking. Hurrah for the cuttings idea - second time I've run across that suggestion today. Definitely going to try that come fall/winter. I agree about Pepper Guru's over wintering guide - thorough and informative. Just another example of the great stuff I find on this forum!

:cool: Really cool pictures - I get a clear idea of how to prune for over wintering. Thanks

Back