• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering over wintering question

I know it's spring but I want to have my game plan ready.Is it possible to over winter in the ground? I live in Tennessee and it really doesn't get that cold here.Would it be possible to cover my peppers with a cold frame and keep them outside in the sun? Of course pruning them down first.

How cold is "that cold"? You might be able to keep them alive in a cold frame, depends on how cold they're going to get. You should read the overwintering sticky, it's great.

Most likely not in Memphis. I am in Knoxville and it is a definitive no here. Large year old plants may survive a slight freeze but anything below 30 for more than a few minutes and they are toast.

Like Mill said its probably a no go for your area. Yes its possible to over winter your plants in ground... I've got three plants that are on to their second year and they are planted in ground, didn't even put up a cold frame... Had Chile's all the way up to the middle of December... Then the several days of 30's kicked in and I only trimmed off the parts that got affected by the cold...

Back