• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Overfertilization suspected, please advise.

Hello all,

The damage:

XAPRl3gl.jpg
t3FrxVcl.jpg
5b9xnUbl.jpg
6oxG8IVl.jpg

More just a confirmation than anything. I got worried when the leaves started to fold upwards showing stress. Then today I saw the necrotic spots. This is affecting all of my repotted plants, not just the hot peppers. I mixed up my soil two nights before transplanting. Here is the list:

7.8 cf of Promix/Klasmann base substrate 2 soil-less mix
2 40lb bags of 0.5-0.5-0.2 mushroom compost (Black Gold)
1 20lb bag of Black Hen composted chicken manure
13 cups Tomato Tone
5 cups Espoma Garden Lime

Did I blast way past any reasonable amount of fertilizer in this mix? Last year I did:

7.6 cf Promix
1 40lb bag mushroom compost
10lbs Black Hen
2.5 cups Tomato Tone

With that mix everything grew nicely but for some low Calcium and broad mites down the road. If I have gone way overboard, what are my corrective actions? Pull all the plants, cut the soil with another bale of Promix and repot? Flush with tons of water? I appreciate all your insight.

Said the scorpion to the frog, "It is in my nature." I tried to set up the soil so I would not have to fertilize as often with liquid fertilizer. Last year I was on a fish fert/Cal-Mag rotation and wanted to avoid that if at all possible.

Looks like brown leaf spot, not fert burn. Tomato Tone will not burn your plants - it's organic. Your mix seems fine. Tomato Tone has calcium in it but you want to add some bone meal. Just my two cents  :)

Well gang, after thoroughly soaking the bejeezus out of the pots to flush out what I thought was excess nutrients I found out what actually happened. I live in an apartment complex, and the mother @#!$*%s power washed the roofs without warning any of the residents to move their plants if possible. About 15 of my neighbors had their plants fragged with caustic power washing fluid. Luckily this means my plants should survive, but it has set their growth back by at least two weeks. Small leaves are just beginning to grow again. Even worse, this means the soil I spent good money building is now greatly depleted of its nutrients. At least thoroughly flushing the soil and leaves also rinsed out any caustic residue. I am fuming, but really there is nothing to do but wait and watch. :mope:

That sucks! 3 years ago my building waited until mid May to tell us that they were repainting the balconys. We had until mid June to completely clear them for 2 weeks. I had plants in the bedroom, living room, kitchen, everywhere.

Back