Overwhelmed. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I know this thread is kind of a mess, but my brain is a bit overwhelmed.

Ok.  I've been reading through many threads about starting and growing plants and my brain is getting a bit overloaded.  I've got some seeds on the way in the mail and want to give them the best chance possible to germinate and grow healthy plants.  My issue is that there are so many different options I can't decide where to start.

I was looking at the "Germination Station", but read somewhere that the heat mat wouldn't get warm enough?

I was also considering the AeroGarden system (though I guess the plants would need to be moved when they get larger).

I was considering using an old aquarium that used to house a lizard (has a heating pad attached to the bottom) but read that the heat pad would get too hot?

I'm trying to decide to do a diy hydro system with a bucket for each plant (if I can get the seeds to germinate).... Looked at the self watering type bucket set ups... I could just plant them in a pot and water them regularly...  So many options.

I guess the place to start would be the "best" way to germinate the seeds.  I've seen the paper towel method, the plant and cover in the window sill idea, the slow cooker method.

I realize that there are lots of options and that everyone has their "favorite" way of doing it, but I'm curious if someone could tell me a system that is going to help me along in the begining.

Is the Germination Station worth purchasing?  Should I just by a heating mat and put my small pots on it?

Basically.... I'm all flustered with all the information that I'm having to process with this new hobby.  :)

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Caveman

Okay it can get confusing but it's all about weeding through the advanced and optimal conditions and looking at the bare minimum. To germinate seeds you need two things... Moisture and warmth. However you choose to apply both is preference. I germinate mine like this. Peat moss in a jiffy seed starter with a couple heat mats under spray until thoroughly wet and get tthe container to 90f. I use this method for every thing I grow. If your house is warm enough you can just toss seeds in some soil or peat moss or whatever And keep them moist.

Finding what works best for you is he goal. Trying different methods, simplest first maybe. You'll learn better if you make mistakes. You get better as you go, gaining confidence too. No doubt people can walk you thru some tips. I like the humidity dome germinator personally, but have used peat pucks, paper towels, rockwool or even direct sow outside. The heat matt does help but is no totally necessary. I started germing in mid- October, but only turned only heat mat two days ago. It may take a little longer. 85 degrees is ideal but I've germed plenty of C. chinense (in a timely manner)at 60 degress.

Best of luck to you!

Mike

If you are just getting started, put the seeds in a wet papertowel and put it in a zip lock bag. Place the seeds on a warm spot like the top of a refrigerator or the top of a router. Once the seeds sprout, put them in the soil.

I use a heat mat,  covered dome trays with soil because my germination area is a concrete basement in Colorado and winter. So for me this time of year that is what I use. Now if my seedling area was already 75 plus temps then I would just use a seedling tray and I always use soil because its cheaper for me to use soil then buy 1,000 plus pucks.

Jiffy seed starters are the way to go. Cheap and effective. Soak them in warm water overnight or in the paper towel like someone else said before you put them in the peat.

Aerogarden.
72 peppers -- with the starter pack.
I have 2 of them.
Set it, forget it.
Just don't stuff the seeds way down in the sponge.
Nor stuff the sponge so far down in the styrofoam that you have to break it to get them out.

In my experience heating pads are more trouble than they are worth.  The lower temperatures (65F+) generally correspond to longer germination times... while higher temperature ranges (85-90F+) endanger the viability of the seeds and the lives of seedlings.  "Room temperature," 70-75F, is fine.  A big problem with the higher temp ranges that I have found is that your extemely fluffy germination media (if you are germing in soil) will tend to dry out extrmely quickly.... and unevenly... so keeping the media at a proper moisture content becomes tricky.

Are you any less confused yet!  If you use soil in trays, try not to let the top surface of the soil to become saturated with moisture or wet looking.  Do this by bottom watering. Keep the lights close so it tends to be more dry but lightly moist.  Water every few days unless it's to dry.   If the top surface becomes saturated; You are much more likely to grow green mold, which is not the end of the world but should be avoided.  "Damp off" is something that easily happens with to much moisture.  Looks like miniture beavers took down your plant.

You could improove germinating results by presoaking.  12 - 24 hours in water before sowing.  Try not to use tap water immeadiatly if you have city water which is treated with chlorine and ammonia.  If you do have city water just fill up a bucket and let it sit a few hours prior to use.  Overnight better, or oxygenate it with an aquarium bubbler for the best of all.

Be sure to start a grow log and show us some pics so that you can be helped along.

Good luck
Mike

Heat mats - the issue is that there is no regulator built in, so yes, they can get too hot. If you need a heat mat, though, get a thermostat for it, too. The thermostat will prevent it from getting too hot for your plants.

Germinating in paper towels - I started this way but changed to coffee filters. The filters have a tighter weave, so the roots cannot become embedded in them as readily as they can a paper towel. Trust me on this - if you don't catch them in time (say you have to be gone a few days), the roots will really dig into the weave of a paper towel, then you risk breaking it and hence killing the sprout when you try to remove it. Damp coffee filters on top and bottom in a plastic tub work. I like this method because I know for certain if a seed has sprouted or not. Ideally, as soon as the root opens the seed casing, move it to starter mix before the root has any length to it. That way you don't care which way goes up or down - just make a hole in the starter mix and drop the seed in. If you don't catch it in time, though, you'll need to ensure the root is pointed down. 

I don't do hydro, so can't speak to that. I spent my first 30 years in the Houston area, and never felt a need to start seeds other than just putting them in the ground. Now I live in OH, and grow in pots with potting mix after germination. The pots are easier to move in and out of shelter, as needed, than if they were full of water, IMO.

I've got an RO/DI unit and a well.  I usually use water from the indoor pond for the house plants.  Would it be better to use the RO water?

SneakiestFever and I stopped at a local Hydroponics shop (CoolHouse Hydroponics) on the way home from work.  The guy was really cool and seemed to know what he was talking about.  It was helpful to be able to see a few different set ups in person.  He had a nice ghost pepper plant in the back.  It was a pretty plant and a nice tasting pepper (that ended up on the side of the road on the way home)  :)  We ended up getting and 50 count Rapid Rooter, Hydrodome, and a 2' T5.  SF is working on some pics so that we can get a glog up and running.  I'll be sure and post a link.

Thanks for the comments.  I'm still suffering a bit of information overload, but I know it will come with time.

Caveman

Browning said:
Never used a station nor a heat pad and have had fantastic results
I just go all natural

just put um in the ground and let them do there own thing, they will be just fine they do it on there own in nature right??
I have always had good fortune with this method you can ask anyone on here that have seen my plants, don't strain your brain over this, just be sure your temp in the area where your planting them is between 75 and 80 degrees

you can jump through flaming hoops to get them to Germinate and sometimes they wont, in all my years I have only had trouble with a very few that did not and it was so few I remember them they where

FLORIDA WILD
TOVARI
AJI PANCA (from dried pods drying process was prolly too hot)
AJI GOLD

now given how many plants I have grown from seed over the years this isn't bad at all
like NIGHTSHADE said all you need is moisture and heat
hope this helps

thanks your friend Joe

I never use a heat mat, but I do use the heat from my T5's ballast. I have no idea how hot it is, but my seeds just sprout normally. Or I never use any other method besides the normal.

I just soak in chamomile tea for at least 24hrs and then sow directly to soil. And keep it moist not wet. I've had seed germinate in 5 days, even the hard to germinate galapagoense in less than 2 weeks.

Conclusion, you only need moisture and warmth. If you choose to buy special equipment then it's up to you or the conditions in which you want to germinate if it's too cold or whatever.

-Walt

Back