• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Overwinter or clones? Which should I do this fall?

I know it's way early to think about the end of the growing season, but I was wondering what's the concensus on overwintering vs clones? I did two Red Bhut's Jolo's from last year, put them in hanging baskets in a large south-facing window. They're just dying to get back into the ground. I was considering doing clones this year, but I've also thought about just overwintering 20+ plants. I would have to cut them back to about foot tall, and probably put them into 1 gallon pots with all new soil, and then just throw them under my T5's until spring. Would clones take up less room, and end up just as well. I kinda think overwinters are the way to go. .

thanks for any input. .

Michael

So many factors to consider. Space and your schedule are most immediate thoughts that come to mind. Depending upon how you over winter (keep them going as house plants vs. letting them go dorman), overwinters can be fairly hassle-free. Granted, you can get aphids and such, but that's true of clones and seedlings, too. Clones are kind of like starting from seed, in terms of time devotion required, and can be fairly easy to lose. On the other hand, they take less space than a full-grown overwinter.

yeah, i dealt with aphids on both of my OW's this year, and finished them off with Azamax. I think i'm leaning towards OW's. I have the lights, space, etc to do them.

oh, and i would probably do them as housplants, mostly. I would want them to rebound after a couple months, put out some flowers, thrive, etc. My two Bhut Jolo's from last year turned out really well, but they're pretty big too.

well, i could do both. but i think the OW's would be sufficient enough and come back really strong. Then i could start some new strains next year and within a year or two have a nice arsenal of good plants that produce well, without babying a bunch of cuttings, ya know. . .

I work full-time plus take classes, so to me, the break from taking care of plants all the time by overwintering and letting them go dormant is a good thing. At some point after I'm done with school, I can see myself trying cuttings again, but no way I'd do it before then.

In general,for me clones are a pain to start anytime I tried.

Some varieties seem to root no matter what while others are very hard to root(gotta start a bunch more to get a few/1 to grow).
I hate killing plants,If a clone for something grew 100% I'd end up growing a ton of whatever plants I couldn't give away.

I live where I only grow stuff indoors from seeds for starts or for pure seed.
Plants grow almost year round outside most winters.

Clones ,to me,because of what is involved, is something I only do with unstable stuff that I want to keep for next year (IF it roots)where seeds from my original plant wouldn't grow true in general.

Kinda like a bird in hand is better than 3 in the bush type thing.
If I want to keep something for next year that the seeds might not grow the same thing I overwinter it.
if I wanted a couple + plants next year of whatever,I'd overwinter and clone it.

I would like to make my own heirloom seeds this year. Pick one plant and take it's seeds and grow babies and have a crop of them next year. I am also interested in cloning but don't know how. Regardless, for me, it either dies or comes in come fall. My thinking is that I can eventually get my master plant tested then I'd have my own supply... "Butch T" for example, which is simply a moruga that was tested, that's all.

If you looking for a winter gardening project you should check out this... overwintering & pepper bonzai/bochi tree making http://www.fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=26 http://www.fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=95&Itemid=105

I would like to make my own heirloom seeds this year. Pick one plant and take it's seeds and grow babies and have a crop of them next year. I am also interested in cloning but don't know how. Regardless, for me, it either dies or comes in come fall. My thinking is that I can eventually get my master plant tested then I'd have my own supply... "Butch T" for example, which is simply a moruga that was tested, that's all.

go for it

Back