• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Overwinter Question: Dorment or Dead?

Ok chiliheads...I have a question in regards to overwintering and whether this Serrano Pepper plant of mine is just completely dormant or gone with the wind aka dead? I have had this plant indoors since early November 2012 when I dug it up, removed the 80 some pods on the plant and pulled off the leaves that hadn't fallen off. I did not trim the plant at all. Over the last 2 months I have kept it indoors near a window and watered it maybe once every 10 days to 2 weeks. Steadily over the past 2 months the stems have turned darker and more brown than the nice green they were when outside and growing. I have another goat horn pepper plant next to it that is much more green and looks much more alive than the Serrano. This is the first time I tried the overwintering idea and have never known what to expect. I understand overwintering does not guarantee the plant will survive till the next spring so if anyone can direct me as to whether this one is just dormant or dead I am curious to know. Hopefully the pics below will help. Thanks!! Mike

AE007426-A6D0-4914-A993-84B97F86C3A2-2996-0000045A79D77F68.jpg

6E0DD6AB-31DB-49CA-91E0-5986F68A1BD0-2996-0000045A856E334B.jpg

019C06C3-B7D4-4F6B-816E-B2950C741694-2996-00000459D96B115A.jpg

Dormant.

As long as there is at least partial green, you're ok. But let me quantify that - I did have one a couple years ago that went fully brown but still came back. Not sure why I kept watering it, other than "just in case", but was truly surprised when new leaves started appearing in the spring.

I've had some plants that I thought were 100% dead come back after the winter. They weren't pepper plants, but they were crispier than a bag of potato chips. I think as long as the root system stays alive, you should be fine.

Never over wintered as others do, but it looks kinda dead.... I understand that over winters should be trimmed back (stems included). And then new growth regulated through trimming and water restriction.

- Mega

I just keep mine going in south eastern facing windows... watering slows way down but I fert and everything on the same schedule (every other watering).

2wd3qjr.jpg

It's not absolutely necessary to trim back overwinters, though you can. I did a "severe pruning" the first year, but only did smaller pruning the past couple of winters. The key is to prune both the stems and roots back to about the same distance from the soil line. The amount you trim back is determined by you, based on your needs. A more severe pruning gives them more room to grow in the same sized pots, while a less severe pruning pretty much guarantees you'll need to pot up in the spring.

Thanks for the feedback!! Since responses didn't all say DEAD than I feel better to think this plant still has some life left inside it.

Love the potato chip reference Dustin!!

Geeme..I understand your pruning assessment, this plant was in a raised bed and will be returned to one in the spring so even though I never pruned it at all if it gets larger that is fine by me too. I did plant 12 Serrano seeds this morning so I should have this pepper back this year I just want this plant to return again it turned out peppers week after week. Thanks again!!

Back