• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Overwinter Trimming Question

Hi all, I have a quick overwinter question. As you can see from the pictures my overwinter pepper plants are doing pretty well:
P1010031.jpg

My question is it ok to continue to trim them back until I can plant them outside, sometime around mid April? I am concerned that they will out grow the lights:shocked: Other than this concern and the on going battle with bugs I am real happy with these plants I just wish I knew what kind of peppers they are:rolleyes:.
Thanks
Ed

Ed,

I have a Thai Dragon that I tried to save from the garden (it didn't come up until probably September!). All the leaves and blooms fell off, so I trimmed it back, figuring it would die. It hasn't and has been growing nicely, without having anything but a few hours of direct sunlight a day.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Ed,

I have a Thai Dragon that I tried to save from the garden (it didn't come up until probably September!). All the leaves and blooms fell off, so I trimmed it back, figuring it would die. It hasn't and has been growing nicely, without having anything but a few hours of direct sunlight a day.

Mike

Mike kind of the same story here, I planted these and others late in the season tried to overwinter them all in the garage but the killer cold came (10-20 degrees) and these four are all I could save. They have been growing well with direct sunlight but I decided to go with the grow lights. I'm just concerned about the plants outgrowing the lights.
Ed

Another method to control growth for overwintering is root-pruning. If, when you prune the tops, you also prune the roots, the plants will be in better balance when you plant out in the spring.

Ed:

You and I are both in Fort Worth. I am planning on trying to start hardening off the plants the first of March and trying to set the plants out the middle of March. I am expecting an early spring this year.

I cut back one of my orange habs to overwinter it. Extreme cutback I would call it. Cut back Date: 05 December 2007

Today, this is what it looks like. It has a lot of flowers that are starting to form. I would say probably 40 or so. I am just letting it do its thing.

When you say "outgrow the lights", are you talking about them getting too big or not enough light for them?

I find it amazing Aj ...I can't understand how a plant can continu to grow without leaf LOL but nice job it seem to work very well :D

AlabamaJack said:
Ed:

You and I are both in Fort Worth. I am planning on trying to start hardening off the plants the first of March and trying to set the plants out the middle of March. I am expecting an early spring this year.

I cut back one of my orange habs to overwinter it. Extreme cutback I would call it. Cut back Date: 05 December 2007

Today, this is what it looks like. It has a lot of flowers that are starting to form. I would say probably 40 or so. I am just letting it do its thing.

When you say "outgrow the lights", are you talking about them getting too big or not enough light for them?

AJ, I am concerned that the plants will outgrow the light setup, really the question is if I cut them back a little more will it affect the long term growth of the plant:?:
Ed

Don't think so...it will fork where you cut it and make it bushy...but bushy is not a bad thing sometimes...

QuebecFire said:
I find it amazing Aj ...I can't understand how a plant can continu to grow without leaf LOL but nice job it seem to work very well :D

I've had overwintered plants where the whole top died but new shoots started from under the soil.

Back