• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Overwintering Bhut Jolokia

Getting ready to overwinter my Bhut Jolokia. My son in law purchased it for me back in May when it was only four inches tall. Right away I put it in the garden only to find it eaten up the next morning. Nothing was left except a small knob sticking out of the ground. After all that I think it grew fairly well (even thought it looked better a month ago). With what growth is left here a photo next to my 13 year old daughter who is 5'2".
IMG_2284.jpg

Nice looking plant! That is great growth for one season. It sounds like your seedling got eaten by a cutworm. If you transplant seedlings next year take some wax paper, wrap it around the base of the seedling and push some soil around the base of it so it holds. It will keep the cutworms away from it until it is large enough where they aren't interested in munching on it anymore.

What is the better way for overwintering this kind of plant:
a) Leave it as it is or
b) cut 2/3 of hight

wbr

I cut mine back to nubs for space saving but as willard says, either way...

So cutting does not have any (special) advantages?
I thought with cutting plant prepares better for the spring.

makes them bushier and easier to take care of IMO....and because they are bushier they have more nodes and more nodes = more pods

makes them bushier and easier to take care of IMO....and because they are bushier they have more nodes and more nodes = more pods

That's how I see it,
Unless you have an 11ft ceiling with a 1000w HID, you'd just be wasting some time trying to keep a full size plant active through the winter.
My suggestions would be cutback as mentioned, and/or take some cuttings off the plant. You can start your own "clone Bhut section" in the grow room! Believe me that's the most manageable solution of them all. Call it how you like but you can end up with thee "Clone of all Mother's" or the "Mother of all Clones" depending how much effort you put into it you can produce some outrageos results with that method.

Greg

Hi PIC 1

I tryed to make roots from cut branch but no success. It's look like I needed f.e. BioBizz Root Juice. :whistle:

I'm overwintering two Bhuts, one yellow one red, didn't prune them back at all. I'd like all the branches on it to harden and then maybe next year I'll prune the growth from year 2. But then again, mine are only about 3 or so feet, not over 5 ft!

How did you go about it? I use a starter juice similar to one produced by clonex.
Greg
Hi Greg

actually I was bad luck. Only branch of Bhut in water didn't work. I thought it's like with flowers, but no go. :)
That's why I'm thinking to buy BioBizz Root Juice for next season.

We ended up just cutting our Bhut back because of the size. Would rather have it bush out next season. Do they normally produce better the second season?

cutting back to nubs improves the production after it grows out because as I said above, more nodes...and more nodes = more pods...if you cut back, cut it back just about the "Ys" of the stems...you can continue to grow it without cutting back but the plant becomes very very large and may be unmanageable...JMHO...

if you do cut the plant back for the winter, you will have to water it quite a bit less than if you kept it full size

This is true, and an important consideration. I lost a 7Pot Jonah and a TS Butch T recently because I didn't pay close enough attention to just how much water these babies drink in full foliage. After cutting the rest back pretty severely, water usage is way down.

Question? I live south of Seattle in Des Moines, WA. Summer heat doesn't begin until the 5th of July. I could put the pepper plants out sooner but it's cool. I'm overwintering about 6 plants from 2011. Should I trim them now, in January, or wait to a later date closer to my 'put outside' date?

Question? I live south of Seattle in Des Moines, WA. Summer heat doesn't begin until the 5th of July. I could put the pepper plants out sooner but it's cool. I'm overwintering about 6 plants from 2011. Should I trim them now, in January, or wait to a later date closer to my 'put outside' date?

More info needed, .....Do you have sufficent lighting and grow space to harbor large plants indoors.
You can cut back now............wait, ........better yet for complete info on this procedure go to the growing forums. At the top of page 1 "the Pepper-Guru" has a very informitive thread on overwintering. Your question can have numerous answers...

Greg

Back