• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering "Overwintering" chili plants in hydro

I couldn't take it anymore. I have three hot peppers, a Bhut, Scorpion and Limon in a hydro chamber. They were invaded by the dreaded aphids, probably from plants from the garden I am overwintering, and everything I have tried has failed. Way too many leaves to spray, dust, wash, etc. The creatures were getting fat ans sassy.

So I cut them back to the same as if I am overwintering them. Gave them a big bath of insecticide and soapy water.

I klnow they may not survive, but they weren't going to survive with thousands of aphids on them either. I did manage to take a few cuttings, washing them off, top and bottom in the sink and then plucking all the leaves. While I hope the plants and cuttings both survive, I have to get rid of the aphids. They also invade tomato plants.

The result - apparently got some soap in the chamber also:

1220hydropeppers.jpg

Mike

The plants should be fine but as soon as there is new growth watch for more aphids. Keeping things clean and getting rid of dead vegetation should help keep the bugs down but once you get aphids, it seems impossible to get rid of the buggers.

ABurningMouth said:
I have a feeling they will be fine now. Good luck...
I was only trying to make you feel better. But since they are in hydro the bugs won't like leca? I believe they don't like led light either though, so what do I know.

POTAWIE said:
The plants should be fine but as soon as there is new growth watch for more aphids. Keeping things clean and getting rid of dead vegetation should help keep the bugs down but once you get aphids, it seems impossible to get rid of the buggers.

Potawie,

That's why I gave them a haircut. The plants were so bushy that even though I'm sure I killed hundred of those pests, four days later they were back in force.

I probably need to get some neem oil and treat all my plants since none of them have any significant foliage.

Mike

Back