• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering overwintering increases future production

Yes it will because your plant will already be a decent size with a nice rootball too. So when it comes time to put it outside it will have a head start over your other plants. This means it will be tougher when it's put out and will grow bigger, faster and produce more pods then if it had been started new. :)

It worked for my Caribbean Red plants in this cold climate, a lot of pods this year, but small unfortunately. I will be overwintering a few more this winter.

It does, but don't put them out too early. I had a beautiful TSBT plant that I put out in April. It got cold, and the plant dropped almost all its leaves and is struggling to make a comeback. Make sure you harden them off properly if you are going to overwinter!

Without any doubt yes it does.

Some of the superhots best producing year is their second, over wintering gives slow growers a big head start. Just don't be over aggressive when cutting the plants back for winter.

Tim

There is absolutely no guarantee your overwintered plants will produce more. There is more potential for greater production but there is also more potential for pests and other nasties when there are no natural predators. I think those who have milder/shorter winters would have a much easier time with overwintering. I used to find it very easy but I've basically given up trying to fight aphids all winter/spring, which quickly spread to seedlings and make Potawie sad
When I do cut mine back, I cut plants back very aggressively to basically a stump, and then try to get them to go semi-dormant until spring

It's worth the effort if you have the space but what Potawie mentioned is definitely an issue, when I brought plants inside I had whitefly and aphid outbreaks so I now leave plants in the garage till all fruit is done and leaves have fallen off. I only prune away the branch ends that are dead (turned brown) and a couple more inches in the spring.

Keep in mind that if the plant was good sized last year, it's going to benefit from, perhaps even need a large pot for best results. It's easier to repot at the start of spring rather than waiting till it's getting bushy later

^ thanks but as you mentioned it would be smelly, and the overshoot messy indoors. I might try spraying something like that in the garage while it's still warm enough to air the garage out during the daytime, though while in the garage due to frosty nights outside the bugs seem to become dormant and/or die away.

The smell only lasts for a few days and mainly just smells on your hands, but it keeps a nice film on the plants and I haven't seen a return even though I keep them outside quite often.

Well i started this years plants off early (end of summer down under) to get a head start for for the coming summer (Christmas) i know it sounds odd to you blokes up top, but yep we have short mild winters & all my plants are outside in a wedding marquee.

Im battling pests (aphids) because there are no natural predators to eat them, ive stripped my new plats & pruned back last years so there are no leaves at all on my plants, ive got a ton more pruning to do yet as well.

But the idea is im getting a jump on the season by over wintering my new plants, by the time spring arrives i can put them outside and will have six months head start this time around.

Im going to give Corys recipe a go as well, i hate spraying the plants with insecticide.

Mezo.

I've tried every aphid antidote out there over the years, and the only one that really works for me is using natural predators like ladybugs

Back