• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Overwintering watering

This is my first real attempt at overwintering some peppers from this summer. I have 4 plants that i did all good things to such as trimming the roots and branches to matching mass, potted down with fresh potting soil, sprayed for mites ect.

They are all in a south facing window in my living room which varies right now in temp from id say 62-67. 

Im not concerned about light at all but am second guessing my watering.

I know i need to keep it to a minimum and have been trying to water about 16 ounces every month in the 8 inch pots. At least that was my goal as of a few weeks ago as they start to wilt. They perk right back but im concerned about root and stem rot.

So now 2 are slightly wilted after 2 weeks post h2o.

Im thinking due to the heat and light they are less than dormant and now think they need 8-16 ounces every 2 weeks.

Thoughts on over/under watering?

Thanks yall!

Don't stick to a rigid schedule, but let your plants tell you when they want to be watered. The drooping leaves is one way they tell you this - you should water then when they're slightly drooping, before they're significantly drooping. The thing to keep in mind is that plants take up water at different rates. This varies from one variety to another, but also from plant to plant. If you want to ensure you are watering appropriately, use the weight method. First, when the plants are at a point where they're slightly drooping, pick up the pot and get a feel for its weight. Then, thoroughly drench the plants until the water flows freely out the drain holes. Let it drain as much as it can, then pick the pot up and judge its weight again. Every few days pick it up until the leaves start drooping again, so you get an idea of what's happening with the water. Water it again. Keep this cycle up until you get to a point where you know by weight when it's time to water - you can do so before the leaves start drooping and be fine, but the pot should weigh very close to how much it weighs when the leaves start drooping. It takes a handful of times, but you'll get there and the plants will be happy.

Yeah I've been watering when they look like they need it i guess i was just thinking they would take up less than they are. They look great i think so i guess ill just keep on keeping on. Thanks G.

As G says...Get a feel for the weight of the pot...
A sunny South facing window alone can cause a droop in the leaves and branching. Best to water when the sun is down. I see you root pruned...cool, You may feel that you have to top water since the bundle branch of feeder roots are far from the bottom of the pots. I highly recommend bottom watering. If you're using the right lightweight medium the water will be wicked up to the roots. Best way to achieve this is to place 2 of the 8" pots into a standard 22" flat . Fill the flat to the top with water. Within a half hr the plant will have wicked up the water that's needed. Place the other 2 pots in and do the same. I've overwintered many plants in the past, not in a window but under Flouros and HID's. Many times the containers would only have to be watered every 2 weeks.
Each situation is different....I have many houseplants in a Northern exposure of the house. I might only water once a month, as they are dormant. A Southern exposure with intense magnified light through a window can cause one to water more often. Check the weight of the pot...you'll know when to hit the liquid.
Do your plants bounce back and look less droppy in the evening or overcast days ?

PIC 1 said:
A sunny South facing window alone can cause a droop in the leaves and branching. Best to water when the sun is down. I see you root pruned...cool, You may feel that you have to top water since the bundle branch of feeder roots are far from the bottom of the pots. I highly recommend bottom watering. If you're using the right lightweight medium the water will be wicked up to the roots. Best way to achieve this is to place 2 of the 8" pots into a standard 22" flat . Fill the flat to the top with water. Within a half hr the plant will have wicked up the water that's needed. Place the other 2 pots in and do the same. I've overwintered many plants in the past, not in a window but under Flouros and HID's. Many times the containers would only have to be watered every 2 weeks.
Each situation is different....I have many houseplants in a Northern exposure of the house. I might only water once a month, as they are dormant. A Southern exposure with intense magnified light through a window can cause one to water more often. Check the weight of the pot...you'll know when to hit the liquid.
Do your plants bounce back and look less droppy in the evening or overcast days ?
Yep, I too am going to have to go by weight right now. As my plants can't talk to me any more. I cut them all back, and although I have lots of new growth coming in rather quickly, I really miss just being able to walk on by and hear them screaming for water, as those big ol leaves drooped down. Now I have to walk around stick my finger in the soil and give each pot a lift. So far so good, just a little more work.

PIC 1 said:
Thanks. Ive been bottom watering. Id say they don't perk up after dark or overcast so they must need water. They are actually doing very well, I'm happy just double checking i was doing the right thing.

So does anybody trim plants while overwintering?

Like i said i trimmed the roots and branches and potted down when i brought them in. I did trim a little about 3 weeks later as i got a lot of new growth, they did fine. Now my tobasco foliage is growing larger than the pot its in hence bigger than the root ball. It looks great but im wondering if i need to keep the root ball/foliage ratio as near 1 to 1 as i can or let it ride. 

All opinions are welcome.

Back