• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

P. Dreadie Memorial Group Grow 2016

Long-time THP veterans mourned the loss last August of Amarillo, Texas musician/songwriter/silversmith/chilehead Erin Mason, known to us here on the boards as P. Dreadie. Erin was an enigma, one of the most interesting and creative, yet gentle and loving guys I ever knew. Many of us may be unaware that he played harmonica in one of the original Austin, Texas bands of the early 1970s "Cosmic Cowboy" era, Alvin Crow and the Pleasant Valley Boys. When Erin decided to step off of Alvin's perpetually-touring bus and return to Amarillo, he travelled to Jamaica, fell in love with the Reggae beat, collected the best Scotch Bonnet fruit he could find, and his alter-ego Papa Dreadie was born.

In 2013 Erin sent me a few pods of the Scotch Bonnets he had been breeding, carefully selected descendants of the original fruit he brought back from the Caribbean all those years ago. I harvested every single seed from those pods, and stored them away, as I focused increasing attention on other varieties. When his wife Liz gave us the news last August that Erin had passed, I knew what I had to do with those seeds: a community grow in his memory. I have already shared about half of them, and I will continue to share them with experienced growers of the Scotch Bonnet until they are gone.

Papa Dreadie Scotch Bonnet Select, grown by Erin in 2013:

erin_bonnets003.jpg

erin_bonnets031.jpg

Lifetime memories posted by Liz Mason on Erin's FB page. Liz is an extremely talented professional photographer:

11902277_840930452672850_1547488734913475330_n.jpg

The legendary bus:

538_Alvins_old_bus_1.jpg
1644785432596.png

The first ripe papa dreadie. All pods are about this size and it looks like they're going to stay that way, thanks to the low temperatures I guess...

1000003876.jpg

I ate the pod. There was heat but not a lot. Taste was very sweet. I liked it 🙂

Last edited:
As already posted in my grow log, I had a small disaster today with my papa dreadie plant. I wanted to put it in a nice spot to take some pictures, and at the moment I put the plant down, one of the main branches broke off! 😮

20240818_152513.jpg

20240818_152540.jpg

The branch was heavily loaded with pods and unfortunately I did not tie the plant up to protect it from this kind of disasters. It's a real pity as this was a very nice balanced plant. But looking at the wound, this was unavoidable...

20240818_152554.jpg

Luckily the other branch is also loaded with pods. I immediately started tying it up. One disaster is enough.

20240818_152650.jpg

Some pods I took from the broken branch...
20240818_152808.jpg

Tasted one of mine yesterday... this pod was not sweet at all but instead was a little sour. Heat was very mild but it was there and built up very slowly. It took a long time to fade. After 10 minutes or so I kept getting "heat waves" on my tongue 🤔

1000006562.jpg

Back