• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Packaging for shipping?

I'm going to ship boxes of some of my superhots to a few friends as the freezer is getting full and my wife's expression as I keep bringing in more buckets of peppers every day is getting to the 'you're in trouble' stage. It's been raining whenever I have free time so I haven't been able to turn anything into sauce yet, as that activity has been regulated to outside.

Any idea on the best way to package them to insure they arrive in the best condition? Definately they should be clean and dry going in, but should they be in paper bags so they can breath, in plastic bags so they don't dry out or ?

I was planning on doing the USPS flat rate boxes, and would hate to get tagged for shipping something dangerous if they were to accidentally squash the box and get pepper juice leaking through. One reason I lean towards putting them inside a ziplock...

Thoughts?

I shipped tomatoes in a ziplocs blown up like balloons they need to fit tight with lots of padding around and inside them. lost 4 out of a couple dozen fruit. I bet peppers stand a way better chance at survival

I wrap them in newspaper but have never received them that way. I have received wrapped in paper towels and that worked. I also got them in zip locks with the bottom corners cut off to allow breathing. The zip locks have been received with peppers looking like they were fresh off the plant. Now that temperatures are dropping it is not a important, but I would not ship in a sealed air tight zip lock.

I got a pound of peppers shipped to my house in a ziplock and it was nasty. They turned out really mushy. I would suggest the paper bag or just free in the box.

I put in a layer of bubble wrap or crumble up newspaper. I have found the key is to ship them a few days before they are fully ripe. If you pick them and they are fully ripe and they sit a day or two before shipping they stand a better chance of going to moosh in transit. The chilling weather does help their survival rate too.

Thanks for the input! It's been down in the 50's and low 60's here and has been raining for 3 days, the plants are finally drying out today. I know the peppers are well hydrated, so I'm going to try just wrapping in paper and putting them in a bag with holes in it to slow down any moisture loss that might occur.

This seems to be the ideal way to sip fresh pods. Posted for photo reference only.

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/25020-fresh-pods-for-sale/

Back