• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Padron Peppers - anyone grown them?

I know they are not spicy but I've got 30 seedlings I plan on putting out in a couple weeks. My experience has mostly been superhots and I aas wondering if anyone has had experience with them to see if there are any major cultural differences.

My reason for growing them is that I once had them at a tapas restaurant years ago - they were saute'd at high temperature in olive and finished with sea salt (they were awesome). Never seen them since, so I thought I would give it a try myself since I miss that taste. One of the funny things I remember is that some were mild and flavorful and every once in a while you'd bite into one that had a decent amount of heat to it. Guess that's why they call 'em "roulette peppers"!

Thanks!

I'm germinating a batch of seeds now for some late additions to the pepper patch. I was figuring that they'd be another twist on the C. annuum (and there's plenty of variation there!) but if anyone has any useful insight, I'd be glad to hear it, too.

One of my buddy's came back from Spain raving about these things.

I grew Padrons last year, and they were one of my favorites ever. I only got a couple of good pods from my plants, since it was my first year growing, but the fully ripe red ones are superb. A very sweet, apple-like flavor, super juicy and with a touch of Poblano/Anaheim-level heat. I have heard, however, that Padrons are a cultivar that varies considerably in heat, so if I grow them again someday, with more experience, I can test that info out and see the difference myself.

All in all, one of my favorites for flavor out of all the peppers I've tried. I'd put it in my Top 10.

Never heard of it til I ran into Melissa. She's growing them as well. She got me one to grow. About 8-10 inchess and I'll be planting in the ground soon. Will let you know. What's the receipe for the tapas.?

I got like 20 plants going here, like you said they make a delicious tapas. Simple but so damn tasty :) They call them the Russian Roulette pepper because sometimes you do get one that actually has some heat ;)

I tried to grow Padron this year, but not one seed would germinate. If anyone has any spare seeds, perhaps we can work out a trade.

Tom

Im growing a bunch as well - the idea is to pick them when still green - then quick toss in hot oil and sea salt them - Great w/beers on a hot afternoon - yea I've heard the same that every so often you'll get a hot one

Unos pican y otros no. Some are hot, some are not.

I have a 4 year old plant I grew from seeds traded with the Portuguese lady that I haven't seen on the forum in awhile.

Any way, it is loaded with peppers and I shall have them later as tapas.

Um.......

I'm growing Padrons this year too. They're probably the biggest, healthiest plants I have and they really want to go outside...maybe this week.

IMG_2832.jpg

Hardened and ready to plant in the ground.

Looking very nice mine are still very small. The weather on the East Coast isnt co-operating - frost the last 2 days and very cool - cant wait to try them

Dang, y'all. Making me want to plant some out for the fall.

What's the scoop on its brother, the Piquillo. I have some green fruit hanging on a plant right now. Have only had them stuffed with goat chese as tapas, which is why I'm growing them. :)

Are they equally as yummy at home?

I've been growing Padrons for about 4 years after eating them in trhe Canary Islands. They grow well in UK conditions and they are fabulous eaten as you guys have said, flash fried in oil and eaten with a little sea salt. Its important to leave a bit of stalk on so you have a handle to hold them with - no cutlery required!

Eephus - That is correct. They are lightly fried in olive oil until the skin is darkened and then sprinkled with sea salt. I had some last night with my son before dinner and they were absolutely delicious.

Well I guess I'm going to have to order up from Trade Winds (or wherever y'all recommend) and grow some in the fall. They sound just too good.

Back