• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Paper Lantern varieties??

I'm sure it's no secret what my favorite Chinense has become.. Thanks to @Bicycle808 , who turned me on to Johnny's strain of them. I was reading up on them a little over the past couple days and noticed they are supposed to be hairy, like a Serrano or Pube.. None of the ones I have grown have ever met that description, that I can recall. Is this because it's Johnny's strain, or have I been growing a *gasp* hybrid? :shocked:

I also noticed these ones I got from @shotgunman006 were a tad hotter than the ones I grow.. But I have a feeling that has more to do with cultural/region influences.

For those of you who grow the precious.. What strain are they? Are they hairy?
Thanks for your input.

...they are supposed to be hairy, like a Serrano or Pube...

Really? Never seen anyone make that claim. It's a chinense and a habanero. They usually aren't "hairy".

For those of you who grow the precious.. What strain are they? Are they hairy?

Paper Lantern is one of my favorite peppers. I received my original seeds from @buddy in 2011. I have no idea where he got his original seeds from but am very grateful he shared some with me. I've grown it every year since. Awesome pepper. And No, my Paper Lanterns are not hairy.

I'd admit, I thought it was odd too.. Where did I see that?!?

Edit: We can dream.. I'd sure like to try them if they are out there somewhere. Hairy species tend to do better in our house, without much help.

Last edited:

Edit: We can dream.. I'd sure like to try them if they are out there somewhere. Hairy species tend to do better in our house, without much help.
I was looking for hairy habaneros thought maybe one might come up or someone crossed a paper lantern with a hairy goat weed pepper & this came up
store.jpg

Product Details​

Not for the faint of heart, this hot sauce is an unexpected explosion of taste and heat. Ingredients include vinegar, tomatoes, onions, habanero and serrano peppers, garlic and spices. Concerned about your hairy ass? Don't worry, after eating this hot sauce it'll be as smooth as a baby's butt!

Interesting. I believe that's @juanitos database. It's maintained by many, but it looks like Juanito made that entry. I see it's been a while since he's stopped by THP, but next time he does, maybe he can shed some light.

Back