• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Paper Towel Germination

How many days after seeing the hooks and planting the seeds in soil would you expect to see a shoot come through?

lots of variables mostly depending on the depth you plant and condition of the medium you are planting in...

if you plant 1/2" deep and you use a lightweight seed starting mix that is damp and not wet, IME the first shoot will appear within 3-5 days....

Thanks for replying.

I am planting about 1/4" deep into seed raising mix.
It's been 4-5 days for the ones i planted out so I'll keep track of them.

I normally sow directly into the soil. First time doing it like this.

I started all of my Bhuts in wet paper towels inside open Ziplock bags. Every one of the seeds I started this way sprouted eventually. It takes time with them.

I started all of my Bhuts in wet paper towels inside open Ziplock bags. Every one of the seeds I started this way sprouted eventually. It takes time with them.

Excellent news extxcx.
My Bhuts took about 7 weeks to germinate normally and they are way behind my Yellow 7 pods which came up in around 4 weeks.
They seem to be growing so slowly in comparison.

I soaked 24 various seeds(12 types of 2 each), on Dec 13 2010, i planted half in promix hp and half in rockwool on dec 14 2010.
Dec 19 indian carbon in soil was first to pop out, then on Dec 20, yellow 7 pod in soil and dorset naga in rockwool popped. it looks like today barrackpore in soil is poking a nubby out.

(i am waiting on douglah, butchT, yellow scorpian, choc bhut, yellow bhut, choc hab, locato and bombay morich).

the seeds are in a mini greenhouse enclosure with a uncontrolled heating pad - i keep it nice and moist for humidity and lift the lid a couple of times a day to talk them, actually i breath on them hoping the popped seedlings will take advantage of my co2 exhale.

I always use the paper towel method, works every time, I t usually takes around 10 to 13 days to sprout . I put them in a ziplock bag under a normal 100W bulb, but first I use the thermometer to make sure the temperature is around 85F then i put the ziplock bag under the light, live it there from Morning to Night, then I turn off the lamp, after they sprout I plant them in potting soil in plastic cups, then I put some plastic wrapper on top of the cup so moisture will stay in and keep them under the lamp until the first leaves come out, finally I use a fluorescent bulb until they get big.

I've left mine sitting on top of the microwave.
For future use I got myself a fish tank heater that I'm going to drop in a bucket and I'll float the bags on
the water... maybe in a small plastic container.

Back