paper towel method

I just want to hear the pros in the cons when using the paper towel method for germination.
Also like to hear anything guys have on germinating pepper seeds

I don't like the paper towel method. I don't want to handle the tender seedlings so soon after germination. 
I just like to put my seeds in some soil and let them sprout like they would in the wild.

HELLO AND WELCOME.PAPER TOWEL/COFFEE FILTER METHOD I LIKE WHEN USING A PLASTIC CONTAINER NOT A ZIPLOCK BAGGIE.THE REGULAR CONVENTIONAL METHOD USING SOIL OR SOIL LESS MEDIA IS I BELIEVED PREFERRED,THESE TWO METHODS WORK WELL AND I DONT BELIEVE WORKS BETTER THAN THE OTHER.IN THE END IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT THE INDIVIDUAL PREFERS OR WORKS BEST FOR THEM.JUST MY OPINION.

I do both, depends on my mood. Right now I have some direct in dirt and a couple baggies of seeds on paper towels. ones in dirt are going on 12 days since plant and no germination yet. These are all crosses though so i'm expecting poor germination rates with the types I crossed. 

I´ve tried the pepper method and it went good with the germination, all of the seed germinated, then the uggly part, they where too fragile to handle the transplant process, none of them made it. Now I´m doing it the wild way, just place the seeds at the top of the soil in the final pot and there they go :)

I like the paper towel method. Here's why:
1. Can avoid wasting dirt space (and container space) on seeds that don't germinate.
2. Can keep seedlings at similar stages together--I hate it when I have some getting leggy on a heat mat when others haven't popped up yet.
3. I like being able to see the germination, because it's a cool thing to see.
4. Subconsciously, maybe it gives me a sense of control over the process.

It's all personal preference, and whatever you're confident in.

I use the paper towel just to hold the seeds as I use warm tea as an initial starter. Make a cup of tea disregard the bag into a dish with some warm water from the kettle. Wrap the seeds in the paper towel and immerse into the dish. A few hours later (tannin in the tea softens the husk) place the seed into your chosen medium. Pigeon poo also works ... a bit smelly and mucky though ...

Good luck

:welcome:  to the THP forums!

I pretty much always use the paper towel method. If I grew a larger amount of plants total or a larger number of plants per variety I would probably go direct sowing after an initial seed soak. 

Current method this year achieved upwards 90-95% germ rate.

1. Quick soak in water/H202 (hydrogen peroxide) for a few seconds to kill any potential pathogens
2. Overnight soak in dilute chamomile tea/water solution to jumpstart germination process
3. Place in folded over paper towels wetted w/ water and placed in plastic containers (reused clear square containers from local health food store that all the nuts, dried fruits, olives, etc. come packaged in)
4. Place in warm spot - no heat mat... so I place outside when warm, in a warm sun facing window, or place on top of fridge.
5. Then wait!

Best of luck!!  :P

sicman said:
Welcome. I don't like it and would rather just sow in soil. But that's just me. No right or wrong way.
same here !  never have any luck with the paper towel method , and i don't have a clue as to why . i should have it mastered !     :onfire:

Back