• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Paprika peppers

Do any of you grow your own? I guess I never see people talking about them. I am growing 2 plants, I was given the seeds by a forum member.(along with many other different kinds!) :)
If I save the seeds, do I need to keep them away from my 7pots, bhuts, and naga's?

I grow paprika peppers from time to time, just not so much since I started making powder from a lot of different peppers. It makes for nice Christmas gifts, and it's fun to watch the faces of folks who never knew paprika came from a pepper.

Peppers are like little trollops in the garden, they cross breed pretty readily. If you want to save pure seeds, you would must isolate to get pure seed. You can do that by keep the whole plant some distance from any other pepper, or you can net the entire plant, or just net a couple of branches*. Of course, if you like the flavor of the paprika but want more heat, leave it next to those super hotties!

*If you net the plant or individual branches, do *not*, I repeat, do *not* do so the day after a tomato hornworm moth lays her eggs on your plants. Do *not* carefully cover the infant tomato hornworm with net so it is protected from all those nasty tomato hornworm predators. In particular, do *not* do this on every single plant you from which you wanted to save seed.

And none of you jayhoos better ask me how I know this is a bad idea.

The way I see it, paprika is basically just another word for chile powder but traditionally its from spanish or hungarian type peppers and is usually mild and sometimes smokey.

I'm growing a few traditional paprika types this season. The D'espelette is a French type which has "controlled-name status" and is not really called paprika but it is great and produces well.
I'm also trying szeged paprika which is a traditional Hungarian type that is very popular in Hungarian cooking.

joeknowsjolokia said:
Thanks Pam, but How will I know if it's the day before? (jk):lol:

Check the leaves and make sure there are no eggs.

What's so frustrating is that I *know* what a caterpillar egg looks like, just didn't think to check.

I've got a few called Szentesi Csereszynye Paprika.They seem to love our cool winter weather and are my stoutest seedlings at the present time,up around 6" now and maybe some buds comming on.I guess they are used to colder temps in Hungary.I'd suggest starting these variety's out earliest.

Thats awsome! If you have a bumper crop, send some seeds my way.:) This is my first time planting from seed. I'm growing paprika supreme, the seedlings are comming along nicely!
I've got 86 styrofoam cups started with about 45 varities... hell of a start my first time.:onfire:

joeknowsjolokia said:
Thats awsome! If you have a bumper crop, send some seeds my way.:) This is my first time planting from seed. I'm growing paprika supreme, the seedlings are comming along nicely!
I've got 86 styrofoam cups started with about 45 varities... hell of a start my first time.:onfire:

Way to jump in there with both feet! Did you list your varieties anywhere?

I grew three varieties last year: Papri Paprika, Kalocsai V-2 and Szegedi 80. I liked them all and will probably grow all of them again this year.

What varieties are you growing?

joeknowsjolokia said:
I guess I haven't yet! It seems like alot of writing!:lol: I will get my list together though.:rolleyes:

Look, we're nosy. We want to know what you're growing.

Back