• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

paprika post-ripening

I've been doing a lot of reading on paprika lately and find myself at a loss to get a clear definition of the "post-ripening" process. I've found references that say after the peppers are harvested ripe their flavors are fully developed by post-ripening for 10-40 days before being dehydrated, but no definitive decription of the process.

My assumption is that this is simply a holding period, but is the humidity controlled or are they simply stored at ambient temperature? Does anyone have more info on the process?

I'd say 10 days or longer would be asking for a mold attack...

The thin fleshed ones would dry out even in the fridge I think.

The thick fleshed ones I'd think would mold inside.

Thats off the plant.
If left on the plant they might last a couple weeks but I still think you would waste the pods with mold or whatever inside.

I've read that leaving some Paprikas on the plant until they start to wrinkle up a little is supposed to increase the sugar content but I don't really know.

I just like heating up dried pods (opepened up flat)until they barely smoke in a hot pan does help bring out the flavor before grinding into powder.
I try and smoke dry most of my pods when I have the time.

That's my assumption as well, which is making me think there is more that simply hanging onto them to the process. It's got to be under controlled conditions to prevent the growth of nasties or what they're referring to is actually a slow natural drying process followed by controlled dehydration down to the storage moisture percentage.

There's lots of matierial online that refers to it, but nothing that explains it in detail. For example, here is a Google books link to a page that refers to the process as after-ripening : http://books.google.com/books?id=NW6-jlOQ59cC&lpg=PA193&ots=bVycTEeolw&dq=paprika%20post%20harvest%20ripening&pg=PA193#v=onepage&q&f=false

If anyone else is curious, it's dry storage at ambiant temperature. It's basically emulating hanging them out of the rain in ristas to dry and darken in color a bit before the final dehydration, flaking and grinding process

Back