• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

snack-food Paqui chips

My wife got me a bag of Paqui Haunted Ghost Pepper chips for a long road trip that begins tomorrow. I'm fairly certain these won't be anything like those challenge chips I've read about here but I hope they're delicious and interesting. It's hard to dip superhot salsa and drive so maybe these will give me a bit of a pepper buzz. One can only hope. I'll report back on them mas tarde.

dragonsfire said:
Make powder, add to chips, best way to go and not be disappointed. 
Have a good Trip :)
Ah well, it sounds like they're not too hot.

I already have my shaker of ground superhot powder packed in my car bag but I don't care too much for getting that stuff on my fingers. Maybe a solution to that problem is bring a nitrile glove to wear during chip time  :clap:

They're the hottest chips I've had and I love them. I haven't had the reaper chip and won't for $5 a chip.

They put "flaming hot" on so many mild things that it's impossible to take seriously. These actually have heat. Eat enough of them and you can get capsaicin cramps. I've never had that happen outside of fresh chilis or excess powder.

JayT said:
They sell those at Walmart here.  I did a review on them many moons ago.  I think they are among the few hot chips I have had that actually deliver.

I really enjoyed the Paqui chips. Delicious flavor, great texture and spicy enough to gain my appreciation.

Interesting thing Jay T.... my wife said she also found the bag at the Walmart. Strange but true.

Wally doesn't typically offer anything suitable to smaller niches. And probably wouldn't stock them if they knew how hot they were. They don't want frivoluos lawsuits filed by Nancy-Boys who burn their tongues and choke or get spice in their eyes and crash into a wall.

Oh I see. They weren't THAT hot to me. But the last couple of years they have stepped up their game to compete with amazon. In the stores not so much but online you can get almost the same stuff amazon has. Stores have more too.

Wow.... Wally be selling Dave's Insanity?

25 years ago we used to have to sign a waiver of liability to buy that from a hole in the wall restaurant/store in Pensacola. Times change.

I forget if it was Poor Boys, or someone else, it's been years.. But there used to be a Habanero or Ghost chip out there that was just amazing! They were all the fruity flavor and heat of a Chinense, none of that Paprika, and just hot enough that you'd keep eating them to avoid the air burn after. I don't know if they changed the recipe or what, but all of the ones I have had in recent years have fallen far short of that. I have yet to try a corn-chip type that was even remotely tasty.

I agree with the above review of these Paqui.. They have another chip that isn't very good too, forget the name. There's a couple companies like this out there, with their corn chips, and I wonder if they've even tasted the chips they make.. Disgusting. They sure do smell good when you open the bag though. I only found them tolerable with salsa.. Maybe that was the intention.

I forget if it was Poor Boys, or someone else, it's been years.. But there used to be a Habanero or Ghost chip out there that was just amazing! They were all the fruity flavor and heat of a Chinense, none of that Paprika, and just hot enough that you'd keep eating them to avoid the air burn after. I don't know if they changed the recipe or what, but all of the ones I have had in recent years have fallen far short of that. I have yet to try a corn-chip type that was even remotely tasty.

I agree with the above review of these Paqui.. They have another chip that isn't very good too, forget the name. There's a couple companies like this out there, with their corn chips, and I wonder if they've even tasted the chips they make.. Disgusting. They sure do smell good when you open the bag though. I only found them tolerable with salsa.. Maybe that was the intention.
If it is the same one you're thinking of, the Poore Brothers habanero chips were amazing back in the day. The habanero ones were hotter than hell, if memory serves, but I was quite young and hadn't had anything quite that hot at that point. Their salt and pepper chips were outstanding, too.

Back