• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Parrot+ Pepper Glog 2023

IMG_0523.jpg

This will be my first big foray in to pepper growing because of these two. Jasper (left) and Tin Tin (right) are my official taste testers. I myself have a fairly poor spice tolerance, tabasco is spicy for me but frank's red hot isn't so I'm working on it! The rest of my family have tolerance and my partner also appreciates spice so all is not lost, however.

So far the lineup is:

Annuum:
  • Espelette (sourced from a chef friend, the lines go back to the French Laundry chef's gardens in California and prior to that were smuggled out of France - I have 200 of these I'm willing to share while keeping my own stock too!)
  • Chile de Comida
  • Ancho
  • Bola
  • Hawk's Claw
  • El Incendo
  • Fish
  • Grandpa's Siberian Home
  • Mystery Hot (hot is relative, 1000-5000 SHU)
  • Mystery Sweet (up to 500 SHU)
  • Florida Bird
Chinense:
  • Alligator Tongue (anyone know anything about this pepper?)
  • Peach Habanero
Baccatum
  • Piri Piri
  • Aji Omnicolor
  • Aji Fantasy White

I also have a pack of entirely mystery seeds that I'll be germinating this week. Hopefully the Annuums in this mix don't get too big before planting out but you never know! Lots of overlap between my list and growyourown's so it'll be interesting to see the differences and similarities from our grows esp because our overlap is sourced from the same place.

If I grow any superhots out of the true mystery pack I'll give them to a friend who's a true spice fiend, I have another friend who is taking a few seedlings and the rest I'll try and figure out. For this reason I'm going to double cup hydroponic the true mystery pack, hoping they fruit fast and I can figure out what I'm dealing with (is this a good idea? Can you tell from the leaves sometimes which sub variety they are, instead of waiting for flower?) The mystery sweets and hots I'm planning on growing in 1 gallons (I want to try everything and if I really like a variety I'll save seeds for a bigger container next year).

The birds plants are Bola, Florida Bird, Piri Piri, Alligator Tongue and El Incendo. I haven't decided on a final pot size for these yet because they can only eat so much in a day, fresh or dried, but I have a few other parrot owners who would take a bumper crop if I have any. I might not start Grandpa's Siberian Home until fall as they apparently fruit in winter even with the low light. The rest are for your typical uses, I've yet to decide if I want to grow the Hawk's Claw or give them away because I'm up to my ears as a balcony grower already but I also might be moving at some point during the growing season so no matter what I'm all containers.

In any case I'm excited to see what the year holds. Now to figure out how many of each of my known varieties I'm starting!

earlier this season I mixed up some of my Ancho with Bola. I thought I relabelled them correctly, but I don’t think Ancho are supposed to look like this 😂
IMG_6873.jpeg

Now I have to contact every person I gave either plant to so they know. It looks like the plant I have labelled Bola is actually a Bola as well so I have double! Oh well.

Most of the pests are in check now and the balcony is looking good. If you figured out where I live from the photo, shhhh no you didn’t.
IMG_6877.jpeg

earlier this season I mixed up some of my Ancho with Bola. I thought I relabelled them correctly, but I don’t think Ancho are supposed to look like this 😂
IMG_6873.jpeg

Now I have to contact every person I gave either plant to so they know. It looks like the plant I have labelled Bola is actually a Bola as well so I have double! Oh well.

Most of the pests are in check now and the balcony is looking good. If you figured out where I live from the photo, shhhh no you didn’t.
IMG_6877.jpeg
Nice view!

That's a really nice balcony! And nice bolas too! 😁

End of July/beginning of august update! Everything is trucking along. El Incendo finally got with the program and my Ancho really is a Bola :( mystery updates going in to the mystery glog. Waiting for things to ripen beyond a pod or two now!

Fish
IMG_7408.jpeg

Aji Omnicolor
IMG_7413.jpeg

Chile de Comida
IMG_7412.jpeg

Gator tongue
IMG_7415.jpeg

Espelette
IMG_7416.jpeg

El Incendo
IMG_7422.jpeg