• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shade Partial shade plants

While planning my gardens this year I have several locations that I could stuff my overflowing quantity of peppers (god they looked smaller as seedlings) but only get full morning sun or are shaded by trees throughout part of the day. I've done a little research and found out that there definitely are varieties of peppers that prefer partial shade and of the ones on my grow list, Tepin and Monzanos are on the list. What other types of peppers do you find do better in partial shade?

Here in Florida all of my plants do better in the shade during the summer.

I am am in Florida also, My plants getting the morning sun, than around 2pm they go in the shade during the summer. During the winter months, they stay in the sun all day long, since the its only in the 70's.

So my brainstrains grew geat like that. What i plan on doing again this year also.

Baccatum and Pubescens in general do better with shade than others...but all can tolerate some. It also depends on what time of day they get the shade. My plants seem to love some mid-day filtered sun through a shade tree with early and late full sun.

I've lived in Texas and Southern California, and now also live in Ohio (17 years now), and can tell you shade requirements between the southern part of the country and northern part are VASTLY different. Part of the need for shade has to do with the temperature - it is cooler in the shade than in the sun. In the south, it often stays hot into the night during the summer, so cooling temps down a tad during the day is more important. Here, we typically have a significant cool-down at night, so even on most of the hottest days the plants get relief at night. (Not 100% true, but generally true.)

Most of my plants get full sun all day, but some do not. I have found the pubescens (rocotos, manzanos, canarios...) are finicky, and swap them around a tad periodically. They tend to prefer lower temperatures, dropping all of their flowers during the summer, then finally starting to set pods in the fall. They seem to be good candidates for more shade because of this, but at the same time, I've found that they thrive better as plants when they get more sun - hence, swapping them between more and less shade from time to time. My chinense, baccatuum and annuums vary, but at least half receive full sun all day and are perfectly happy campers.

The thing you want to be aware of is that peppers of all kinds seem to do better when they get a minimum of 6 hours of full sun each day. So I recommend checking the areas you want to plant in, and not put peppers in the areas that don't receive at least that much sun. Check right before you plant, so the tilt of the earth relative to the sun is as close to how it's going to be mid-summer as possible. I'd suggest you also check mid-summer, keeping planting the following year in mind.

Edit - If you couldn't tell, I grow in pots, not in the ground, which allows me to move the plants as needed. Sorry for that omission!

Back