• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Pasilla bajio peppers

Started this years crop for my sauces indoors from seed.  Trying a bunch of new peppers, lots of the superhots, but a couple mild ones that I plan to use to cut the superhots with for the people that cant handle the paint-peeling kind.  One of the mild ones is the Pasilla bajio pepper.  From what Ive seen on the interwebs, looks like a really nice dark pepper that will add a nice color to my sauce.  Anyone had experience using it in a sauce?  Good/bad?  I see that it is often smke dried like an ancho or chipotle, so has anyone tried both fresh and smoked?

thx

I believe these are known as chile chilaca when fresh, correct?  Nigel sent me a few pods which were deep green, and incredibly long.  I'm growing them this season.

I had a recipe off of youtube that showed a Mexican woman using the chilaca with scrambled eggs, much like you would use anaheims, i.e., roasted over a gas burner, peeled, chopped and added to eggs.  The audio is in Spanish, but you won't have difficulty following the video.  One of the great aspects of youtube is all the Mexican cooking videos.  I like 'em!
If you are going to be drying these chiles, then I think you are headed into enchilada sauce territory.

I grow holy mole pasilla peppers... they are probably the best producing of all of my sweet peppers... and definitely one of the most flavorful... its funny that jim would mention how well they go with eggs, because one of my favorite things to do with them is slice them thin onto home-made egg mcmuffins.

Back